Hosted by Darren Baker
Best 1/72nd kits?
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 03:31 PM UTC
Hi as in recent post I have recieved amongst others the Italeri 1/72nd Panther Ausf A.
The kit looks fine as far as it goes, except the tracks at first glance look a little "static".
Any views?
So I ask if anyone has any views to which 1/72nd kits are thoughtbto be the best?

Are there add on track sets for this tank available, or any others for 1/72nd?

I'm looking at 1/72nd to fit in with my aircraft.

Thanks
Cheers
Peter

:-)
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 04:10 PM UTC
I'd have to say Revell has a few of the best kits these days.

But judge for yourself, this site has a lot of in box reviews available:
http://www.ontheway.us/default.htm
Under kits lists almost all producers of kits and after market sets are mentioned with their respective products.

PART has panther track avialable as you can find in the above link.
Though I don't have any experience with these.

Good luck with the panther,

Pascal
flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 04:26 PM UTC
Thanks Pascal,

Good pointer.
Something to mull over...lol.

Cheers
Peter
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:44 PM UTC
When I built the PIOmodel Berge Panther 0, it included the lower hull of the Revell Panther A/D. I got the tracks to hang good enough for me. On the other hand, the vinyl tracks by Dragon were way too tight and were stretched to the limit. There was no way to get even the slightest sag to them.

I've bought a set of Eduard Panzer III photo etched tracks and was warned that the folds have a tendency to split when you do the curve around the sprocket and idler wheel.

I'm debating on whether or not to get the Panzer IV PE tracks or not.
flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hi Robin...
you've set me a high standard to follow for a first timer...lol.
But the tracks look good...maybe for my first try the standard tracks will suffice.
Cheap enough for me to make a mess...

Cheers and thanks
Peter

RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC
For my Pz IV i was wondering about P.E tracks aswell but decided against it because on a lot of reviews i read on them it was said they looked out of scale (to thin).

But i think i will try on my next one just to see for myself.
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:46 AM UTC
Love opinion questions...

You already know about Ontheway, best site for 1/72nd info.

Now for 1/72nd, IMHO...

Currently Revell of Germany is a leader for the most part, but, DML has a few kits that are great, Trumpeter has their super nice Ferdinand and will re-box the Pegasus Maus, and Hasegawa has one or two good ones to keep in mind. And don't forget Italeri s l o w l y re-issueing the still-excellent ESCI stuff.

Each brand has their merits, but it all boils down to a specific subject vehicle. That's where O-The-Way comes in.
For example, ESCI/Italeri has the best Shermie kit, Churchill MkIII, and their Panther is a good one, RoG's Panther is fine and they have the best Early Tiger and PzIVs, DML has the best Late Tiger and KTs, Hasegawa has the best Churchill MkI, Chaffee, others, and so on, etc.

Braille-scalers are in good times these days, not long ago, all we had was ESCI and Hase to choose from!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 10:02 AM UTC
Don't forget Airfix, Fujimi and Matchbox kits. I know they are 1/76 scale and some are really suffering from age, but for the most part, they were well worth the dollar and change way back when. Well, Fujimi was higher than Airfix or Matchbox.

I wish there was a site as good as On The Way that covered the 1/76 scale kits like these as well. This site is heading in the right direction, but has not reached the level that OTW has. Small Scale AFV. Here's another site that covers Braille scale modeling, Armoured Plastic.
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 10:15 AM UTC
I'd go for Revell and Dragon 1/72.. As far as detail goes, you can't beat either one.. The Dragon Panther tracks are covered easily enough, just use the supplied Schurzen armor plates..
 _GOTOTOP