_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Question on Academy M3
Deacon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 01:21 AM UTC
I have this kit and it appears to be a real nice kit. Though I understand that the interior is somewhat in question.

Is there a good reference source for the interior of the M3 to relate to for corrections? Also does anyone have any references on the M3 in British service as a recce vehicle later in the war?

Many Thanks!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have this kit and it appears to be a real nice kit. Though I understand that the interior is somewhat in question.

Is there a good reference source for the interior of the M3 to relate to for corrections? Also does anyone have any references on the M3 in British service as a recce vehicle later in the war?

Many Thanks!

Deacon - I've been scratchbuilding an interior for the early US M3 Stuart. The Academy Stuart interior isn't quite accurate for an US M3 (Early). Principally, the rear wall is more akin to the later M3 Stuart. You'll also ditch the Turret Basket - as the early M3 didn't have them. Yes, the crew walked (stumbled) around the driveline hump as they traversed the Turret. There are many smaller details that set the early M3's apart from the later vehicles.

Mike Kendall's AFV Interiors website will give you a lot of good TM photos on the M3 www.kithobbyist.com and you can find the link there. I'm using the TM and R.P. Hunnicutt's STUART reference book for my project.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP