_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Detail help needed
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:18 PM UTC
Hi all

I've decided on a diorama idea for my DUKW, but I could use some help firming up the details. The working title is " Lift and Load " I plan to have the DUKW at a supply depot in sorthern France, being unloaded. I know not very original. But heres a little twist on the idea. I want to use German POWs to unload the vehicle. I saw this in a movie about the Red Ball Express some years ago.
Now heres where the questions start. Just because it was in a movie I know it does not make it historicaly right, and I've not able to find any reference to the use of POWs in this manner from other sources. So were they used for labor, or just kept in a pen ? Next what kind of signs if any would be found in a supply depot? Lastly I was planning on having this set in a field. Is this right, or would it have been in a city, or did it even matter ?

Thanks folks
Wolfsix
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:56 PM UTC
Early on after the invasion they were used to do work when needed, I have some photo's to support this. I have nothing like you are wanting but, I would think it is certainly possible, maybe they had to clear the craft of supplies before fairieing them out the POW ship to take them back to England. I see nothing wrong with this idea at all. I say go for it.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 09:44 PM UTC
I think that the use of POW for manual labour would be very likely. As long as they are not unloading wapons and ammo :-) . As for the location of the depot, that would probably depend on who's depot it is. Is it Regimental or Divisional (now that would be some dio)or maybe a platoon in the field? It would need some accesible space, but obviously not to much out in the open to avoid airstrike. Signs you could use would probably include NO SMOKING if there's ammo or fuel involved and things like speedlimits (for dust suppresion as much as safety), exit signs, general directional signs.
 _GOTOTOP