_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
research and reference
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 09:37 AM UTC
How exactly do you use references and pictures etc to make models? This may be a basic question but having never done this I am not sure. An example I bought the dragon pzk iic and would like to make it a as it was used in France 1940. Would I look for which divisions were there and insignia etc? Are numbers on the side of the tank theater dependent?
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi!
I use the references to base my models, so I pick a photo of the model I´m building and try to reproduce it as a model, but I also use others pics from the same model (not the specific one I´m building) to see general details and to help me make these details.
But aint to anal about that, too!
Cheers
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would I look for which divisions were there and insignia etc? Are numbers on the side of the tank theater dependent?

Yes you should Padrino if you want to have an accurate model, or you don't care for historically accuracie and you only want to build the model for fun and on that case you can use any marks you want.

Paulo is right and I try doing the same.

On german tanks the numbers - normally three - represent the company, platoon and car, so if you have '623' its the third car of second platoon from sixth company.

Those that have an 'I' are from batallion HQ and those with a 'R' are from regiment HQ.

Each division also has their own insignia and in some of them it changes from one campaign to another.

HTH
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 07:37 PM UTC
Here is a little eyecandy to get you going
http://members.tripod.com/George_Parada/map.htm
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 09:20 PM UTC
Every once in a while I like to build a kit OOB without using references. It's a break for the AMS we sometimes get. For me, it's usually a car or aircraft kit, but on occasion, it will be a tank that I have no references on. I plan on using my DML Maus for this. Build it right OOB anyway I feel like it.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi Padrino..........like Paulo and Tuga, I pick out an actual photo
of a real tank, half-track, uniform, etc .........weather it be Axis or Allied from
W.W.II or any other war.
The photo's I use, usually come from my collection of books ( which
is another hobby in itself ). Then I'll research all I can, on whatever it
is that I plan to model ..........this includes vehicle or uniform markings
and insignia ...tracks...vehicle features/structure & parts....interior & exterior color's .......division-regiment-battalion-company-platoon info .......battles fought...........and so on.......... etc.- etc.
( I also use the internet, which is obviously a "universe " of information ).
It really involves alot, and some modelers don't bother with as much, but this
is my preference to scale modeling. It also can get a bit expensive when you
start looking to make a model to authentic historical standards....which bring's in the need for "aftermarket " accessories.
It may take a model or diorama alot longer to complete, than a model built
strictly "out of the box ". Because of taking time out for research and ordering accessories needed to build and paint the model to historical and accurate depiction.
I am very relaxed with this kind of approach, since i like to take my time with things.
I am not one to rush into thing's . I like to kick back and enjoy myself.
However, I do build "out of the box" also.
If you really like this kind of approach, the best advise I can give you, is to
buy good books on Division histories - Campaigns & Battles - Uniforms -
and Armor & Softskin Vehicles
- Even check out your Public Library and borrow book's.
Plus as we know - you gain great knowledge from reading, which comes in very handy
in our hobby.
Oh I forgot, ............ASK QUESTIONS !
ALL THE BEST TO YOU.

- ralph
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hi,

Rob- I need brake, too :-) After bulding one model using reference materials- I buld next one OOB. But in both situations I think that the most important thing in this hobby is your FUN. And always you will meet guys who will tell you your model is wrong But majority of these people can only talk- building models is too difficult for them

My way of preparing to building models:
1/ Opinions of my friends are most important for me- therefore before I buy something(model, conversion, accessories, etc.) I ask them for their opinion. Also from time to time I put asks in different DG.
2/ I'm looking in: books, booklets and articles from magazines. Also this time help of all good guys is very welcome
3/ Research in web. You can find there tons of excellent reference materials.
4/ And last- but not least - access to real vehicles. You can take photos yourself- or ask your friend to do it. I've been starting bulding of MERIDA. I have nearly 100 photos of all avaiable details of this tank- but still I need new ones. So every time I'm in museum- I'm taking next photos of it :-)

Greetings,

Michal
 _GOTOTOP