_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
help with 1/72 camouflage nets
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi

Almost finished with my Revell sd.kfz11 and I am wondering what could be used as camouflage netting in 1/72 or i, this case 1/76
I tried medical bandage already, but it looks out of scale.

Any ideas or tips?

grtz
Warvos
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Armorama: 713 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC
Bjorn:
I don't know of the availability in Belgium, But in the U.S. there are many different gauges and net sizes of brass or steel window screen, which could be bent to look surprisingly realistic and painted to match whatever camo pattern you wish... Good Luck!

Sincerely,
Gunny
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
Just an idea, have you tried Old Nylons (Lady's). Stretch a section, on a frame until you get what looks good in scale, then give it a coat of lacquer (hairspray), cut to size. I've had limited success, handle gently.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
If you go the nylon route you'll have to get something more like 'fishnet' type. Standard hose are to tightly woven.
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:47 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply guys

I'll give it a try with the nylons,but the other idea of the brass netting sounds very interesting, I'll have to give that a try the moment I find it in the shops..

thanks, have a nice weekend!!
Björn
RIMA
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 06:13 PM UTC
You might want to try orange ( the fruit ) netting they come in different sice, if people will see you buy some woman nylon they might look at you with a smile, buy orange in a net and they will think that is a heavly lad :-) :-) :-) , no be serious i tryed nylon but it is quite a pain for the coloring ( if you use oiled paint ) but the ( sinaasappel ) orange netting is i think something better and easy to paint, my opinion
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 06:34 PM UTC
Rima might have a good point there... haven't actually thought about me standing in the shop checking out the newest nylon lines...... lol..
I'll give the orange netting a try for now, until I can convince somebody else to buy nylons for me.....

Thanks for the help!!

grtz
Björn
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:11 AM UTC
I just stumbled upon the perfect solution for camouflage nets. If you use the decorative ribbons (which you can buy at almost any shop flowershop or shop where you can buy wool etc.. to create your own clothing..), all you have to do is crush them or roll them in balls between your fingers for a few minutes, so the thread is really soft instead of hard and strait edged. (see pic) . They can be easily painted, and cost only about 1.5 € per meter (about 1.7 usd) . I think these can also be perfectly used in 1/35. They absorb white glue very nicely, and are easy to handle!!!
(and they are a lot cheaper than the commercial stuff you can buy from companies).

grtz
Björn
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you go the nylon route you'll have to get something more like 'fishnet' type. Standard hose are to tightly woven.

Yeah and they chaffe like fury! !" :-) :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP