_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panther In Action
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
Trying to pull some ideas together for depicting a PzKfw V, Panther G "in action". First thing needed are recommendations on best 1/35 kit, but plan to show it firing. A slight rocking back on suspension to show some recoil, the smoke I'm sure can be worked around using cotton, but the muzzle flash is something else again (will likely use the Eduard aluminum barrel). Any ideas out there?

Blade48mrd
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:18 PM UTC
HI, Interesting idea. Here's my 1 1/2 cents worth, and that's probably about all it's worth too. Ha! About the only thing I can think of at the moment would be to add some thin plastic or PE strips--painted the appropriate colors--coming out of the barrel. Super glue these in place and have your 'smoke' intertwined with this to give support to both the 'smoke' and the 'flame.' Now not every having attempted something like this, this may be way off the mark, but it may be worth experiemnting with just to see if it looks real or not to you. Since this 'flash' of burning powder is a momentary thing, there wouldn't be all that much of it showing, just enough to give this area some color of flame inside the smoke being generated. Just a guess here.

A really neat idea. Keep us posted on this.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:40 PM UTC
If you are depicting the gun firing, don't forget to cut a part of your expensive barrel as the gun would recoil.
Howabout a small light (like a LED) in the end of the barrel? If you use cotton wool for the smoke that would perhaps difuse the glow just right.

Henk
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 12:45 AM UTC
If you are looking for the best 1/35 Panther G kit, get one of the Tamiya kits. No question. As long as it is not an A, Tamiya is definitely the way to go. Not sure I can comment on the firing aspect, as that sounds like it will be a challenge to pull off. But hey, that's what makes the hobby fun!
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 639 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
Well i can tell you is that the panther would rock backwards a little bit.

And the Muzzle would have the smoke coming from all holes

So wheere ever the muzzles holes are you can expect some smoke
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC
ever thought of using the smoke system for model trains? you can adjust them to limit the amount of smoke coming out of them. there was a feature not so long back in FSM about making a camp fire with LED's and smoke system I'm sure you could adapt it to suit your needs
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC
sgirty
Thanks. I plan on trying out a number of approaches. I will post them and get feedback on the most realistic approach. I'll keep ya posted on how it goes.

Blade48mrd
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 05:43 AM UTC
Thanks to all -
I like the LED ideas too. Sounds like I got so playing around to do. I was thinking about the recoil also "Henk", and will either use the trimmed down kit barrel or see if the mantle will allow for the pulling back a little of the Eduard barrel. I'll have to check this out when I get the kit and thanks to "jpzr", I'll go with Tamiya's. I'll update as I try things out,

Blade48mrd
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:11 AM UTC
This is the best Panther G: From Tamiya
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
the smoke will not be very ralistic because it will diffuse and float up, while when a gun shoots with will shoot sideways out the muzzlebreak.
ian
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:08 AM UTC
If you are ging to depict it just as the round has left the gun tube, the fire ' smoke ball will be a fairly large ball of white and some yellow and dark gray. Maybe 10 feet in diameter. Don't forget to simulate the tracer of the projectile of the round with a styrene rod or metal wire painted to reflect the color of the tracer used. I am not certain what color that would be for that. You should include that though because the projectile leaves the gun tube before the explosive gases.
 _GOTOTOP