_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
whats your views on this guys zimmerit?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:21 PM UTC
Its a good technique but i dont think it looks quite right.what do you think www.wwiiscalemodels.com/cgi-wwii/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=124;t=000001
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:32 PM UTC

the correct link

and to answer your question I like the way you can do zimmerit with a polygravure you can also make weldseams quit easy and most times painted it looks better then with putty and always better then with pe
but in this case I personally think he went to deep in the plastic on the front of the tiger where the mg and visor is but that can be just the picture
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:57 PM UTC
I think it really does not look right....The way I see it is the ridges are too far apart it looks unrealistic...and yes too deep. I still like the putty approach coz its similar to a real zimmerit in terms of application... Just my opinion...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 10:09 PM UTC
I have to agree - the front looks to much like squashed donuts. If the ends weren't rounded it would look much better.
If you like this technique it is very well executed. Very even and straight
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 10:17 PM UTC
Hmmm,the depth of each pass looks a bit much.
BUT,
if he were to go back over all the surfaces with some sandpaper and tone things down,it may be alright. (++)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 10:19 PM UTC
Personally I don't think one can rally judge the work until it's completely done. A coat of paint, mud and weathering may change the final look.
I will say that this zim is even all the way across. I prefer where it is done in sections.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 11:57 PM UTC
I did not post the pictures as the wee scotish bloke might do me for copy right :-) :-) :-)
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC

I'm still a beginner, but doesn't it look like it is melted in? How was zimmerit applied in real life?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hi, I'd have to agree with TankCarl here. Some sanding after it was donecould have helped it a bit, cut down on the depth some. But hey, it's a beginning and you have to start somewhere. So, all in all, it's not too bad.

I think the original stuff was put on something like a stucco finish on a house and then certain patterns were mashed into it with various tools to create a certain pattern while it was still damp.

Take care, Sgirty
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 01:42 AM UTC
I'll stick to putty for my zimmerit... never did like the look of the melted in stuff. this is only my opinion ...

Rick

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 01:46 AM UTC
I think it looks "ok" but a little neat for my liking, I like to see a bit of battle damage on zimmeritt, hard to do this way
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:11 AM UTC
I think he did an excellent job because of how he kept it so even and neat but i think the slices are too spaced apart and too evenly spaced. In real zim there would be some that werent exactly and inch apart or whatever. the bad thing about this technique is that one cannot simulate chipped off zimmerit very easy. thats just my 2 cents
JohanW
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:19 AM UTC
Honestly, I think he did a great job with the application because he tried something. I know lots of modelers who like zimmerit alot, but are just scared sh tless to try it themselves.

When it comes to realist, the pyrogravure method is one of the worst.. You will always have the melded in effect, problems with spacing and depth....

In real life the zimmerit was some sort of paste that was applied and given some pattern. I know most modelers use some sort of putty to put on the model and then apply the texture....
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC
I agree with that it looks a little too deep into the plastic of the model. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to try that for the first time on something that was fairly costly!
The lines look a little too neat and tidy for my taste. I always felt that if the zim was applied more in the field than the factory that it would appear much cruder and rougher looking overall. But that's just my humble opinion.
 _GOTOTOP