_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
indy track phobia
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:16 AM UTC
hi im about to put together indy tracks on my DML stug and im freakin out beacuse it took me like 10 min to do a 5 inch section. ive heard about the tape method against a jig but are there any other ways i can get this done quicker. Also how the hell do i get it on my tank when theyre glued? and then how can i paint it if i cant allow the paint to set up(so it doesnt become a long stick of tracks)?
comments will be very very very appreciated.
ian
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:24 AM UTC
Well, do you want to do it quick or do you want it to look good? With individual links that have to be glued, it's really hard to have it both ways.

What I do is spend a night in front of the TV cutting the tracks from the sprue and put them in a zip lock bag.

Then the next night I clean up the links with a small file and X-acto knife.

The third night I begin assembling them using a piece of masking tape and a 6" steel ruler to keep them aligned. A small drop of liquid cement at the points between links secures them to one another.

What you don't want to do is cut a link from the sprue, clean it up and put it in place. Repeat for next link. That would take forever.
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hi I've made two models with indy tracks (Fruilmodel). What I do is re drill all the holes for the track pins first (usually sat in front of the TV), I then cut lengths of wire for the pins. I then use the lid of a Tupperware box, putting the links in place in the seal at the edge of the lid, until I have a 5 or 6 inch length. I then pin them. Repeat until I have enough track, then glue with cyno applied with a brush and wait. To paint them i use an airbrush, painting on Tamiya red brown first. Then a little hull red, and then dry brush silver and Citadel miniatures boltgun metal. See my Bishop in my gallery for pictures, although this also works on kit tracks (vinyl) see my Stug IV.

Hope this helps.

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:07 AM UTC
The first few times it seems to take forever Some people will assemble the links onto the vehickle then paint them After awhile you get used to doing them
bodymovin
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:13 AM UTC
ok ill try to take my time hehe but how do u accomplish the feat of putting them on when the glue is already dried, or are they still flexible because of the weak bond between tracks?
ian
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:50 AM UTC
Another way of doing them is a top and bottom run Basically build a straight run under the road wheels Then build up the sections around the sprockets and idlers while the glue hasn't fully dried

Just be careful not to get glue onto the sprockets and wheels After they are cured,put,not glue,them back on and build up the top run Don't glue the top and bottom run After the top run is cured,again making sure no glue on the support rollers take them off and paint and weather them

Just put them on after you paint the vehicle Just carefully scrape off the paint on where you gotta glue the top and bottom run

That's just one way of doing indy links
bodymovin
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 05:00 AM UTC
thx that seems like a good plan
ian
 _GOTOTOP