_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
ok, probably a stupid question but ill ask
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
ok, someone posted about that stuart tank that is being carried at wallmart earlyer. Ive been wanting to get a R/C tank for a while but they are so damn expensive. so my question is. Can the Stuart tank be rewired with Tamias full hop up package to be able to include the sounds, and intigrate the battle system to it?

i noticed from vewing a Colorado Armor site (frag) that Bandi 1/15 scale tanks can be upgraded to have the tamiya stuff from the Tiger I kits but i when searching for the system on Tamiyas site i could not find some of the parts to do a stuG.

and how off would the scale be for this (they have tank battles) and i would love to get into that..

thanks for the help
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:09 PM UTC
wow, guess it was a stupid question. ha ha, guess ill just purchase the sherman later on this year, unless i can really work magic on the wife to let me get it earlyer
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:30 PM UTC
Noah the scales are a big difference for example a 1/15th scale tank would be 15 of the model tanks lined up would equal the length of the actuall tank. A 1/6scale would be 6 of the models lined up to equal the actual tank. i believe they do have those kind of get togethers with the larger rc tanks too and I see no reason that the tamiya stuff shouldnt work on it. I went to the stuart site online and watched the video of it and they already have the engine sounds down with it. I hope this helps you some. Cheers Kevin
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 05:12 PM UTC
thanks, was not sure what scale it was, I will probably get ahold of a sherman, much more fun if i build it myself
majorproblem
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 132 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 05:40 PM UTC
Hi Noah,
It depends on what you are planning to do with it.
I would suggest talking to the club you plan on getting involved with and see what mix of scale vehicles they have, you will probably find they run different battles for large scale and smaller scale.

The 1/15 and 1/16 scale is great, most run well outdoors, but can be a bit jerky and skittish, especially over rough terrain or stones, gravel etc.
These 2 scales can be put together, there is not a big difference between them and basically they use 120mm high figures.

The 1/6 stuff is superb for outdoor use, if you want to go anywhere with them, this is the scale!
These basically use 12" high action figures like "action man" or "G.I Joe" etc
These can be customised as much as a kit.

I am not sure if the Tamiya electronics would be compatible with the Stuart, as it all centres around the Tamiya DMD units....depending on what type motors, voltage, etc the Stuart uses, I am not sure if you could scrap its electronics and replace with the Tamiya?
The Stuart is the cheapest entry level R/C 1/6 scale tank, the more expensive stuff from www.mark-1-tanks.co.uk and the like really will go through just about anything including water.
I am the President and co-founder of the U.K. Tank club, (formed to bring the 1/16 and bigger scales together in the U.K) but have been out of the scene for a few years, recently selling my entire collection of R/C stuff, only to find I missed it and getting more to replace it!! :-)

At one stage I did have around 12 1/15 and 1/16 kits, if you search the net or ask some of the R/C clubs, you will find links for just about any conversion for the Stug, etc.
Hope this has helped a little more.
Carl
sweatydogz
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 114 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hey Carl,

I;ve just order Tamiya's R/C Sherman, cant wait to start it.
Any tips? before a get the tube of glue out.

Rick
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 06:52 AM UTC
I would love to convert the 1/15 stuG by bandi to work with the tamaiya stuff, I have directions on how to make that work, and a parts list to get, but it seems like the conversion will cost quite a bit more than just getting the sherman and building that, plus since this will be my first 1/16 R/C i need to get used to what it comes with first. thanks for the tips, hopefully by next year i will have both the stuG and the sherman
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:05 AM UTC
I think that is your best bet Noah, (buying the Sherman kit) After you put it together you will aquire some basic knowledge, then you join a club and some of those guys will be technical gurus that can probably offer a lot of assistance. Sounds like a lot of fun go enjoy!
majorproblem
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi Rick,
I have only ever had versions of the original 2 channel DMD version of the Sherman, so I cannot yet advise of any tips for the full option version.
(I am awaiting the full option version to convert into an M36 Jackson for a collector)
I did have the standard Sherman, and "easy 8" conversion, plus a scratchbuilt M10 based on the chassis, one thing I would say for sure is to buy an extra tube of threadlock and use it on every single nut and bolt , including grub screws if your going to run it a lot!

Carl
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:14 AM UTC
ive got two cats, of course im gonna run it alot, he he he he, thanks for the tip.
Now its the saving game, or the "lets try to talk the wife into it" game, although i think it will be the saving game, hard to convince the wife into that much money. lol

_GOTOTOP