_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Masking & Painting Tiger I Tires
mislmd
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 11:17 AM UTC
Has anyone any "military" secrets for masking and painting the Tiger I's tires?
I have applied the base coat (dark yellow) with my airbrush and am trying to decide the best way to proceed for painting the rims and tires. I have a camo pattern I've worked out on paper for the rims and it would seem to me that this should be done by hand ... BUT as a newbie at this I could benefit from the wisdom of EXPERIENCE.
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC
When i do it i mask the middle with normal white school glue. Peels right off afterwards without lifting the paint.

Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 639 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC
?!
DOES IT REALLY?!
wow i never knew that!
Thanks for the tip!
Does that apply to Acrlics also?
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 11:59 AM UTC
mislmd
Eduard and others have "kits" with masking available. The "school" glue works and I found using a marking pen like a "Sharpie" or Caligraphy works great for doing the tires portion.

Blade48mrd
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 12:31 PM UTC
Yes school glue works on acrylics have to wait for them to fully dry though
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:22 PM UTC
When painting road wheels, I paint the entire wheel flat black or whatever color I decide the rubber will be, and then use a circle template to mask off the rubber part and spray the inside of the wheel..
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:47 PM UTC
I remove all road wheels after i have painted them still on the sprue.when the base coat has dryed i put one road wheel on a pencil with a bit of blue tack,place the wheel on the top of the pencil then dip your brush in the paint ,using flat black or nato black.Line the brush on the tyre bit and turn the pencil slowly untill the paint has covered the area.takes about half an hour a side. hope this has help
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:19 PM UTC
Hey misid,

For what I do, I paint the wheels of any afv the rubber color of what I want, then place a graphic circle template for the circumfest of the wheel. Then paint the base color of the afv. Simple and less cost than those aftermarket templates that are peel-on's.

Dave
mislmd
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:41 PM UTC
Just apply a layer of glue, let dry overnight ...then paint and peel? That's what I call "Simplicity at its best" And I thought my little tires were gonna be a HUGE Pain! #:-)
I have a ruler like thingie that has some circles cutout ... is this what is meant by the "circle template"?
Thanks for all these tips ...
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Yes,
Take the plastic circle template and lay it on one of the road wheels and see if one of the circles matches the inside rim of the metal roadwheel.. You can use that to mask the outside (rubber) part to spray the inner part of the wheel.. I use it all the time and it works great for me..
mislmd
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 09:29 PM UTC
Thanks so much for the tips ... my tires are starting to shape up nicely ... well as nice as tires can go I suppose. I tried the white school glue on these and it masked the inner wheel perfectly considering. goona try the circle template suggestion when I build my Marder III later on down the road. Again thanks everyone.
 _GOTOTOP