_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
JS 2 details request
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hi,

I' am building 2 Dragon JS2.
First it seems to be a problem for the height between the top of tracks and the mud guards ?
Secondly I need pics to complete hulle details like light or horn alimentation lines.
Pics or links are welcom TIA.

Som pics from my in progress models

TIA
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi
Nice rendition of the JSII
Yes there is a problem with the kit in that you need to add 2mm to the height of the chassis so that the tracks fit under the fenders. I have this model on the "to build" list and have been warned of the fit issue.
Cheers,
C.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:27 AM UTC
I have the JS1 in progress at the moment. Its basically the same kit but has an extra "H" sprues with a few changed details ... barrel, different handles on the turret, earlier periscope version, etc.
I read an article somewhere, that you should add a 1 or 2mm strip beween top and bottom hull. I sanded the fenders thinner and sanded down the return roller a little, and it hopefully is enough.
I cant help but admire your tracks ... Friul are they? They really look perfect. I think you have them on the wrong side though, as the pinning holes are showing ... these should be on the inside of the opposite side. Theres a few teeth to be drilled out also.
I built mines OOB except for adding a milliput weld seam between turret front and main turret assembly. The joint there looks ugly.

This is kit tracks comleted. Your friuls(?) are 100% better in comparison.

Added weld seam to turret front

This view shows the gap (or lack of) between tracks and fenders, even after sanding to increase it slightly!

Whats the story with "33" on one side of the turret and "414" on the other? The white recognition line running around one side of the turret .. should that not be continued around the whole turret?
Cant wait to get some paint on mines ... with your cool weathering, Im getting an itchy (airbrush) trigger finger!
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:58 AM UTC
i havnt built that kit, but i had the same problem w/ my dragon ISU 122....fixed it easily, maybe its just a dragon manufacturing problem w/ all around models....i dont know
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
Thanks to all.
In fact there is 2 models
- JS2 soviet army Easren front 1944 (number33) this model is 90% finished and the gap between tracks and fenders cannot be change)
- JS2M Berlin 1945 (number 414) this tank was jut 50 finishand as chassis and hull were are not glued together, I' have add the 2 mm gap (it can be seen on the pic white line over the tracks)
I need to add some welding all aroud the gun mount.

For the tracks these are Friul tracks. They are beautiful (I've bought 6 sets 2 for JS2, one for JS1, 1 for JSU122 ,one forJSU152, and one for a JSU 152 wrecker).

There are very nice for russian tanks with heavy sagging. Yes, some holes does be perced.

Now there is one sort of links for the track (I think) so one side is rigt and the another no. But as I have a new set, i will see if it gave 2 sort of links.

Here how I have add the 2 mm

Comparison beetween left non modified JS2/33 and right modified JS2/414

Thanks for the advices. Soon pics from ameliorations.
Cheers. Pascal
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi pascal. Those friuls look amazing in the in-progress shot. How do you prepare them .. or get them to this stage?
Sorry I didnt realise you had two JS2s. This will be a nice collection of this model when you have them all finished. You should add the JS1 also... as its basically the same kit! Keep them coming!
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:45 AM UTC
i was thinking about ordering some friuls a while back, but i decided to stick with the kit tracks, does it add more sag because of the material?
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i was thinking about ordering some friuls a while back, but i decided to stick with the kit tracks, does it add more sag because of the material?

Here a comparaison pic from Dragon vs Friul traks pads.

Everyone can make his choidc !

After control there is one sort of track link, so one side looks like the real things, for the other side courageous guys can glue some little plastic round on each track jonction !!!!!

I DONT MAKE IT !

Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hi,

very interesting topic. I really like your JS2. I made a walkaround of this vehicle some time ago, so if want the pics...I would be happy to send them. You can send me an PM.

Right now I'm building dragons JSU 122. So I need to create some extra hight? So that the tracks can run properly? By the way, I'm making an article about this kit 'building dragons JSU 122' for the site.

Mech-maniac,

Quoted Text

i was thinking about ordering some friuls a while back, but i decided to stick with the kit tracks, does it add more sag because of the material

What's your opinion about the kit tracks? I never had that wonderful tracks. I really like them, the fitting is almost perfect so I haven't used glue set. I made some pics of it so you can see what I mean.

Forgot: Pascal, here are some links:
http://www.thetankmaster.com/ENGLISH/AFV/is2.asp
http://legion.wplus.net/guide/army/ta/is3.shtml
http://www.twenot-forums.nl/viewtopic.php?t=215

I hope this helps.

Jurjen
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I built mines OOB except for adding a milliput weld seam between turret front and main turret assembly. The joint there looks ugly.

Frank take a look at this pic coming from Army Recognition :

Now I go to see all the links given by Jurgen

Thats a constructive discussion !!!!!!
Thank
pascal
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
Hi there,

two more pics:

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hey Pascal and Jurjen
Thats amazing there is actually no weld there. I never checked any references, but Im still glad I added the weld as it looks better... in my opinion.
Actually if you look at the box art-work (for the JS1 anyway) it shows weld lines here! I wonder if its possible that some were welded, and somewere not?? Any ref pictures with weld lines??
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 09:49 PM UTC
I have been searching on the internet and I couldn't find any pics of a welded turret too.

This is a nice walk around too.

http://www.track-link.net/image_lib/304
Paska
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 04:54 AM UTC
I just got a copy of Osprey's Modelling the IS Heavy Tank and it specifically addresses this hull height problem with the DML kit. The author pins the gap at 1.8mm, (not that a .2mm difference would be noticeable from 2mm, I just included this statement for any rivet-counters who might want to know.)
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What's your opinion about the kit tracks? I never had that wonderful tracks. I really like them, the fitting is almost perfect so I haven't used glue set. I made some pics of it so you can see what I mean.

i didnt mind the kit tracks except for the individual links, just took me a while to get a good sag look. They weathered pretty nice and the steel drybrush looks pretty good on them, that also has to do w/ the fact that dragon uses plastic tracks and not vinyl like tamiya...i just didnt know if i should spend 30 bucks on tracks...i could just buy a new model...
 _GOTOTOP