Hosted by Darren Baker
M48A3 90mm ammo
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hey all, Im using my M48A3 in a base camp dio its going in its firing position. Im wanting to show the crew loading ammo. Here is my question how do I depict the firing position I know how to do the sand bags but would there be a bunker they store the ammo in beside the tank. And how would I scratchbuild 90mm ammo I know you can purchase it but if I can I like to scratch build.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 08:49 AM UTC
US tank ammo comes in a wood crate that looks like a mini coffin. Each crate holds two rounds stored in a black cardboard tar paper tube called a "Tootsie Roll" (because it looks like the candy).

The crates would be stacked in a sandbag revetment. An M48 series tank could hold about 60 rounds depending on the variant (M48 vs. M48A1...M48A5). The tank has a lot of ammo stored inside ready to go.

You would not likely see a big pile 90mm tank rounds. During ammo upload, one man would be inside the tank stowing the rounds (loader). Another man would be on the outside of the tank standing on the fender handing rounds to the loader inside.

The other two crewmembers would be busting open the crates with an axe and taking the rounds out of the Tootsie Rolls and handing them to the man on the fender.

You'd see a pile of opened Tootsie Rolls a bunch of opened and unopened ammo crates. You'd probably see a pile of spent tank casing.

I think Verlinden makes these types of rounds. I know Tamiya makes 105mm ammo crates and rounds as well as Tootsie Rolls. These would look close enough for your purposes.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:30 AM UTC
Thanks Sabot, youre info helped alot.
 _GOTOTOP