_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
panzer colors 1 and 2
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
For those that don't know Squadron Signal has re-released Panzer Colors It's a 3 part series,only 1 and 2 are out now #1 deals with all types of paint schemes used by the German Army pre-war and during W W 2
#2 deals with Wermacht divisional,all style crosses,and other markings
#3 is Tiger battalions,SS division and I belive Sturmgeshutz battalion markings They are available at www.squadron.com $12.96 apiece IMO they are very excellent books for reference Plenty of color drawings and b&w photos
Chad #:-)
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 03:57 AM UTC
Chad,
Do you know if they are revised or reprints? The reason I ask is the late Bill Murphy had several pages of "errata" on his website before he passed away about 2 years ago. I wonder if Squadron Signal has revised the new editions.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 08:46 AM UTC
I do agree with Ron, if they re release this serie it must be a revised one...I´ll love it because I´m missing the #s 1 and 2, I only got the #3...
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 09:36 AM UTC
Good one General I have 1 and 2 but no 3.
Thanks for the post
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 10:03 AM UTC
Ron,all the squadron site said was that it's a re-issue,but it has a new cover
Chad
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 11:01 PM UTC
They are NOT REVISED. Mark Klutchko from Michigan Discount Models told me that during a conversation with Tom Jentz they compared the books page by page and found that the only difference between these books and the originals is the front cover. I had ordered one from him and he actually called me and told me that I should cancel my order if I already owned the originals (which I did). If you already own the original Panzer Colors books, don't waste your money on these new re-releases. If you don't own the Panzer Colors books and like German vehicles from WWII, go out and buy them as they are great references.

HTH
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi,

I think Bill site is no more on line but here at PanzerNet site Corrección de errores de la serie Panzer Colors de Squadron/Signal Publications por Bill Murphy you can find the spanish translation of his article correcting the issues of Panzer Colors.

I have a copy of the original article by Bill Murphy from his site - Panzer Markings - and the questions pages also.

pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 01:53 AM UTC
OK, guys, I found the pages of corrections that I printed off of Bill Murphy's website about 3 years ago. Since that site is now defunct, if anyone wants copies, PM me your snail-mail address and I will copy them and mail them off to you. There are 5 pages covering Panzer Colors I, II, and III. Plus a page on Concord Publications "The Panzerkampfwagen III at War"
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 06:03 AM UTC
I have all three volumes, IIRC they ran about $5.95, then $8.95. Hard to believe they are up to the $12.95 mark.

Well worth the effort to get them though. Ron, burn copy for me and hopefully I can snag them from you later this month.
shorty
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 06:01 AM UTC
great books ive got all three.
no work table should be without them.

Shorty
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 03:41 AM UTC
I know this an old topic, but I found the archived pages from the late Bill Murphy's old website.
http://web.archive.org/web/20001017121313/http://www.geocities.com/Baja/1654/errors.html
Tanks46
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 07:11 AM UTC
Major Pipe Smoker:
Just wanted to thank you for putting that site up on the Panzer Colors series. I was foolish in that my local place had all three: I bought only the first two. I am hoping to get the third soon. How I missed these volumes all these years is beyond me, but excellent references. Now made better by the corrections and this is why I love this site!
Butch Cassidy Tanks46.

Der Sonntag Bund

Quoted Text

The commanders true aim is not so much to seek battle as to seek a strategic situation so advantangeous that if it does not of itself produce the decision, its continuation by a battle is sure to achieve this.

herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 05:37 AM UTC
The latest Squadron flyer has all three Pz Colors books listed as available.

Andy
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 05:55 AM UTC

I like what the late Bill Murphy said about Pz colors III:
"This volume, like it's immediate predecessor PC II, should be considered as an excellent collection of photos. PERIOD. There is, actually some excellent research hidden in the book, though it is usually cheapened by the attachment of more total fabrications passed off as fact."
courtesy Sept-Dec 1997 AFV news
cheers
Dave
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 11:44 PM UTC
I think there is another two (From D-Day to Berlin and the Eastern Front), they may not be from the same series, but they are written and the colour plates are in the same style.

They both are worth having, especially 'From D-Day to Berlin' if you are into Allied Armour.

Scott. :-)
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 10:08 PM UTC
Terrence Wise's book on Armor Camouflage and Markings: D-Day to Berlin is great. Too bad it's out of print. They can get expensive when they show up on eBay, but it's a nice book.

The publisher is not the same as the Pz Colors series, but the format is similar.

Cheers
Andy
 _GOTOTOP