_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Cookie Sewell's review of the Dragon M4A2
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 09:03 PM UTC
Here is a link to the well renouned Cookie Sewell's review of the Dragon M4A2 Sherman. Dragon was looking to release this around the same time as the Academy kit, but after seeing the beating that kit took from the Shermanholics, they put a little more effort into making it better.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 09:22 PM UTC
Certainly a "taker" for this Ole boy.

Thanks for the link Rob.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 09:32 PM UTC
One piece tracks? Hurray!!!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:08 PM UTC
I'm definitely not a Sherman expert, and after reading this review and some other positive feedbacks I was just wondering which variants could be built using this kit as a starting point for a kitbashing project , since I already have several Sherman kits collecting dust on a shelf (Tamiya M4A3s + Dragon M4A3E8s ....) ?

TIA
Frenchy
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:47 PM UTC
After reading that review, maybe I will do one after all. Not into soviet armour of any age, but I'm sure I'd find it a home.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:59 PM UTC
Even without the raised weld beads it still sounds like a great kit Maybe it's hard to mold them? Hopefully it'll be easy to mate the E8 suspension onto it
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 01:01 AM UTC
Yes, this one looks to be a real winner. I too like the vinyl tracks. It is much easier to find replacement individual tracks than vinyl.

This one has already been on my "to get" list for quite some while. I'm just glad I waited for the better of the two.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 01:05 AM UTC
This is probably an asinine question but are there any major differences between a lend lease M4A2 and one in US service. Not a shermaholic...

Thanks in advance.

Shaun
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is probably an asinine question but are there any major differences between a lend lease M4A2 and one in US service. Not a shermaholic...

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

Shaun
As far as I know the U.S. did not use the 76mm T-23 turret on the M4A2 basically to convert this DML goodie to a USMC version just get a late production 75mm turret,like the one in the Tamiya M4A3 75mm version
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 02:39 AM UTC
I'm going to need a few of these in my stash...One as the russian tank another to switch turrets with a Tamiya kit (I do believe Dragon will make a better M4A3 very soon from what I can see,and probably the Marine version of M4A2 too) Can we say lots of conversions coming up. Going to have to build a Canadian Sherman that we bought after the war with the HVVS suspension...And I can see with alot of work ,building an M4 105 from this baby... Projects projects and more projects!!

Rick
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

Shaun
As far as I know the U.S. did not use the 76mm T-23 turret on the M4A2 basically to convert this DML goodie to a USMC version just get a late production 75mm turret,like the one in the Tamiya M4A3 75mm version

Yup -- gonna have to get two of these -- one to build OOTB and the other to do some turret swapping.

Like Rob (Sabot), I'm glad I held off and didn't get the Academy kit when it first came out. Apparently, test shots of the DML kit were sent to Steve Zaloga and other Sherman experts for their review -- nice to know DML listened. Zaloga has a thread of his impressions over on Missing Links and they are pretty positive.
MAJMTC
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
WOW! I can't wait. I ordered 2 today from the local plastic hobby shop (Denbigh Hobbies in Newport News, VA). Seems like this will be a great kit OOB and the extra should provide lots of stuff for other projects. The real question becomes: How many Sherman kits and after markets should a guy own? All of them? Geez, the wife is gonna kill me when she finds out I am getting two, maybe I should tell her that you need 2 to make whole model?? (Still cheaper than a manicure, but tell her that)
 _GOTOTOP