_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
dragon tracks
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
Does naybody know of na article that explains how to put these puppies together? I just bought my first Dragon kit and both excited and scared about the tracks :-)
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hi Padrino,

Here you have some:

HTH
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC
I got a question. If you build them like in those two articles, before anything is painted, how do you paint them? It would be hard without messing up the wheels and suspension, I would think.

Nic
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm doing the DML tracks for the Sherman and I'm making a section for the upper side and a section for the ground side and some 'bendable' sections for the sprocket and iddler, I intend to paint each section and the road wheels before placing the sections together.

It's what I think to do based in what I've read in several articles and posts, because I haven't yet finished them.

HTH
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got a question. If you build them like in those two articles, before anything is painted, how do you paint them? It would be hard without messing up the wheels and suspension, I would think.

Nic

Check out Tony Greenlands Panzer Modeling Masterclass book. His method is to build the entire vehicle and then paint, track and all.

I know it seems scary at first but it really is a great way to paint and weather all types of afvs.

The other way is to build things as seperate componants. You can actually remove the indy link tracks once they are dry, there will still be some 'spring' in them so they can be taken off the wheels. You may need to leave the drive sprocket attached to the tracks though.

This is easier on Tamiya because they use the poly caps and treads, wheels, and sprockets can be removed at one time.

The most important part is planning. All models will be a bit different.

The rewards of the finished indy tracks are WORTH the extra effort. They really look great when positioned, sagged, painted and weathered correctly.

Steve
 _GOTOTOP