_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
A pest on the net
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 05:48 AM UTC
Over the past few days i have had emails inviting me to download an image,ie.. this is a
powerfull tool you can use,and.....this is a new game you can be the first to play.The first one i got was blank and like an idiot i went for it , i was KLEZED,just incase some bampot !
has got into Armorama take care
Arthur
String em up by the "Goolies" i say!
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 05:51 AM UTC
That Klez virus is one of the worst virii I've seen. And I'm responsible for virus protection for the company I work for.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 06:51 AM UTC
I keep getting an e-mail from somone to my posting account. Everytime I get a message from that person the e-mail program kicks it out. The e-mail shows the text as being "S:"

Never opens and I just delete it. Sometimes it comes with a subject "About your account"

I believe it is from the same person. One time (fairly recently), the subject was "Question regarding Armorama". I notice they arrive around the time I post a message regarding an individual or if I post a reply near a thread this person is engaged in on HS.
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:14 AM UTC
I got the inviteing e mail the other day, and usualy I dont go for it, but the one with "your account info", that scares me becouse either way I have to check it iut in case its real .
Is there any way to tell if it's real or a viral infection ?
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got the inviteing e mail the other day, and usualy I dont go for it, but the one with "your account info", that scares me becouse either way I have to check it iut in case its real .
Is there any way to tell if it's real or a viral infection ?

Normally only with a good antivirus program running and scanning in real time.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:28 AM UTC
I, too, received an email containing the Klezz virus. Only this was from a company called "Umax", who, I think, makes scanners. My Norton caught it and I sent it back to them with a note saying I would tell eveyone not to open any emails from their company.
I tell ya, ya gotta have an anti-virus program running, that's for sure.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:32 AM UTC
And keep it updated.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:33 AM UTC
As an adjunct to my above post. If your system is "unprotected" try this site. Lots of good freeware including an anit-virus program.
http://www.pricelessware.org/
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 01:59 PM UTC
You canīt tell from the name of the sender if the message is infected.
Klez has this as a feature. If your machine is infected, it selects a random address from your address book and replaces the sender address with that. Makes it hard to track down where it came from.

Some people REALLY have too much spare time...

Toni
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You canīt tell from the name of the sender if the message is infected.
Klez has this as a feature. If your machine is infected, it selects a random address from your address book and replaces the sender address with that. Makes it hard to track down where it came from.

Some people REALLY have too much spare time...

Toni

I fare even worse, My computer at home got hacked, so I got someone installed a firewall program for me. At any night I aam using the computer, there are more than 15 people tring to hacking into my computer, and honestly I don't think the firewall worked that well, because someone did something to my home computer, so I have outlook continously running in the background, and I can not close it, so in 20 minutes I can have 30 outlooks running, then my computer just went dead. So I am not using home computer anymore. If I ever lay my hand on those hackers, I will definitely make them pay!
 _GOTOTOP