Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC
hi,are the hasagawa 1/72 kits any good?
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 04:25 AM UTC
No idea.. but they are cheaper than Revell and a lot cheaper than the new dragon kits... so i kind of fear that you get what you pay for...
but on the other side, it's only 1/72, so you won't see me complaining that a few bolts or details are missing....
I found some reviews on following link:
http://www.ontheway.us/kitlists/Hasegawa%20Kits.htm

earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 04:46 AM UTC
I enjoyed building two US half tracks. The troops are stumpy and identical. The plastic is pretty thick for scale. The overall detail isn't bad at all. I remember a decent fit and a fun build. There are a few mods that need to be done here and there depending on how accurate you want these miniatures. I pretty much went out of the box. I enjoyed building mine for nostalgia, as the kits were at least 20 years old. The price is right also. They can easily be had for $10.00 US or less. You can see the half tracks in my photo gallery. I had a blast weathering them. My photos aren't the best, as you can see. I purchased another older one on ebay, including shipping for under $10.00. It's the Japanese fuel truck, which I plan to build for the "move it" campaign. I'm sure alot here depends on which one you decide to build, as there is a difference, one kit from another. I say BRAVO for the half tracks!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 05:06 AM UTC
Most of the Hasegawa 1/72 scale kits are quite old, but basically easy builds and look like the subject matter. Not a match for some newer kits but a hell of a lot cheaper.
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:08 AM UTC
I dont really like hasagawa 1/72 kits you are better going with revell.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
Some of the Hasegawa kits are good, others are bad. Some are the only subject in 1/72 scale. The kits are 1970s era, but unlike Esci, Hasegawa did not produce better tracks for subsequent reissues. Their tracks are truly poor on most kits and is the #1 reason they are disliked.

I've got several Hasegawa 1/72 scale kits, but it takes some work and swiping parts (tracks mainly) from Revell or Italeri kits to bring them up to standards.

Some of the kits are now boxed with Eduard photo etched zimmerit. I bought the Steel Wheel Panther Ausf. G and it contained the same Eduard packaged zimmerit set that you can buy separately. It was on sale for $10, but the PE set separately cost $17. Go figure.
bbtoys
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:08 AM UTC

The new Hasegawa kits (Sd.Kfz.251D and Jagdpanzer IVs) are very good quality; the earlier ones are a mixed bag. Check out Doug Chaltry's "On the Way" website (dedicated to 1/72 models).

Here is a link to the page that reviews Hasegawa kits:

http://www.ontheway.us/kitlists/Hasegawa%20Kits.htm

Hope this helps.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:29 AM UTC
I've got the new Hasegawa Jagdpanzer IV. It is a nice kit, too bad the tracks are not up to the same standard as the rest of the kit.
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:12 AM UTC
IMHO,

Specifically make sure to avoid their Tiger I kits, their M4A3E8, Lee and Grant, Panther, and Abrams.

Their PzKwIV-based kits tend to suffer from poorly-done suspensions, but are otherwise nice kits.

The US and german halftracks are decent kits.

Do check out their Chaffee and Churchill I/II kits.
Their Crusader kit was recently re-boxed by Revell.
Their British armored cars - Daimler and Humber - are nice too.
They also have a nice 88mm gun, and the braille Leopold and Morser kits are nice too. Their Long Tom dates to the early 70's, as does a lot of their kits.

In general, flash-free and crisply molded kits.
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC
I would call them moderate quality kits by today's standards. I have seen some kits in stores that I built way back in the 1970's. If you can get some 1:72 in Revelle, get it, but otherwise the Has. kits are still good enough.
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC
IT would be nice if the redone some of the older kit, expecially now since 1:72 is getting more popular.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 02:25 PM UTC
Looks like the choice is up to you LordQ, a few differing opinions here!.
When I wrote a book (on CD) for beginners to small-scale military modelling I used the Hasegawa GMC fueltanker, and converted the Crusader to a 17pdr gun tractor, neither kit had any build problems and looked good in the final diorama.
 _GOTOTOP