_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
First Dio
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hey guys! havn't posted in like forever....anyways, here is my current project. I got about half the figures painted. Still need to put on gear etc. I'm also planning on putting a half-track on there. I'm doin this just for fun btw, not for accuracy The snow was loads o' fun. I think it looks pretty good for a first try. I'm gonna shake some more (baking powder) on the sandbags and barbed wire fence. Also, these are the first figures I have ever painted in my whole life. I need to give 'em some dullcote or something because their helmets turned out really shiny. Anyways, comments and suggestions are always appreciated. The scene is supposed to be an ambush getting prepared for allied forces to come along. By the way, the guy crouching with his hands out is suppsed to have a shell in his hand, but I didn't have it made at the time that I took the photo.

Here it is:

I ordinarily only do WWII armor, but....my brother made a display base for his model trains and he didn't want it any more...sooo I slapped on a road and covered it all with snow. (I couldn't pass up such an opportunity)
tnx people
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 05:21 AM UTC
Coming along well. You might want to try some different figures though. The gun crew is in tropical, summer uniforms with sleeves rolled up. Either they are really tough guys, or they don't belong in a heavy winter/snow setting. Also, the MG wouldn't be that close to the gun. You might look at putting it up on the higher ground to the left side of the gun in an overwatch position, kind of dug in. The snow looks good. You might want to add some footprints and muddy tracks from the guys walking around. Some empty shell casings and ammo for the gun would look good too. Keep up the good work. It could be great once finished.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 05:42 AM UTC
I have to agree with the uniforms, they should be swapped out - if you want - you did say it was for fun - so, call it 'Tough Guy Winter'..

The snow does look good. I would mound the snow in front of the sandbags to give them some winter camo. When the 1/2 track goes in dont forget the tracks in the snow. And dig in the PAK trail feet.

Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 05:42 AM UTC
hehe, never noticed the rolled up sleeves...good point. But, I wouldn't know where to find another loading crew for this cannon. Also, I meant to ask about mud. How would I do this?

tnx
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC
There are plnty of more winter like figures around, including DML/Dragon. I think some may be loading as well, but loading might not be the best for you. The guy with the binoculars is a major target. Maybe jst have some guys in wait, anticipating something to happen, the calm before the storm, if you will. Depending on the depth of the snow, you may of may not need mud, though that would give you more interest. Also, depending on how cold it's been, the ground may be too frozen to make mud. What you might have is either grayish, slushy tracks if it's beencold for a while but is now mild or you could have crunched down white sno, hardly discernable from the unstomped stuff.
There's a reason the Inuit have many names for snow. We here in New England have many names for it, too, most of which would be very inappropriate for a family oriented site! :-)
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC
I agree that the ground needs more tracks, etc. These pix might give you some ideas. The mud was done by mixing baking soda with paint to give it a "slurry" look. As for the figs, it's been a long time, but I think they're Tamiya. Can't recall if they came as a set or with a vehicle kit. Like to see it when it's done.

Art

Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 01:22 AM UTC
Machu -
My thoughts go along with the others. There are plenty of figures available, and I even think Tamiya has a "winter" gun crew out (though I seem to remember that they might be from a Flak crew, but might work). More stuff in the snow like spent casings, ammo boxes, small arms for crew to help fill space. Maybe a vehicle that towed PAK ? Could add some folige to sandbags for extra cover and for MG (also agree with suggestion of replacement. The gun itself could probably use a "white wash" as the gray really stands out against the snow and makes a nice target. Remember, these "inputs" are just there to use as you see fit, it's your diorama and ultimately you're the only one that needs to be satisfied. Looking good and anxious to see more,

Blade48mrd
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 05:34 AM UTC
ok, I'll definately look into getting new figures and I am putting a half track in. As for spent casings, ammo boxes, etc. ; I am still working on it. I just made an ammo box and there will be no spent casings. This is supposed to depict them preparing (loading the gun, sighting in the MG42, and someone keeping watch with the binoculars)

tnx for comments
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 07:13 AM UTC
Machu: Just a suggestion, why not just make the setting tropical or summer instead of changing the figs. Considering that you already painted the figs, I guess it would be easier to replace the setting. Maybe you could mix the baking with real earth then paint it area with flat earth color or whatever looks natural. Then probably you could put some grass...hmmm what about some wood or tree trunks with some braches and leaves as camo for the anti-tank .....ooops I just changed the whole dio , sorry for that....

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP