Hosted by Darren Baker
One for Sabot - a weird M60 Variant
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 02:02 PM UTC
A few months ago, when I got the second book on the Spanish Armored Division 'Brunete, I discovered some photos of the Spanish conversion of the M60a1, the Alacrán.

Prior to this, I had never seen anything comparable to the Alacrán and from my limited knowledge of the M60 (and its variants) I had never even realised it existed.... If anyone wants to see more pics of this (and other variants of the M60) follow this link:

M60 Engineer Variants . Meanwhile here are some images of the Alacrán ...Jim

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 04:20 PM UTC
We thought the US had some rough neighborhoods. You guys really must have some rough ones, with backhoe's like that.

Kerry
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 04:28 PM UTC
wow, i've never seen a conversion like that before. but it puzzles me why they should do it. dont they have armored bulldozers or something similar instead of converting the tank?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 06:54 PM UTC
hehehe.... cool............Hmmmmmmmm
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 07:13 PM UTC
Jimbrea,
Interesting varient. Like Sabot I too started out on the M60A3 and still have a special place in my heart for those dirty smoking beasts.
Now, I have to wonder where the operator's controls are... If they replced the gunners controls with the backhoe controls, then operation that thing would be tough IMHO... then again, maybe this is not the vehicle to use for finess work.
John
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 07:58 PM UTC
Oh yes, they have bulldozers as well..... I'm not so sure about the backhoe though...Jim

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 08:03 PM UTC
*Insert announcers voice*

Hear ye hear ye, step right up and try this new, amazing invention! It'll change the way you dig a foxhole. Step right up, and give this a whirl. It's fast, its easy, its safe, and on top of that, its a friggin tank! And its cheap, though I won't go into prices until you buy one.

Jeff
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 08:18 PM UTC
New site on modeling this beast just announced over on HS. However, it is not in English but the photography is excellent.

http://perso.wanadoo.es/ruedasycadenasve/art_Alacran.htm
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 08:21 PM UTC
Hot link... (I hope)
Alacrán.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 08:22 PM UTC
Kevin, I had been looking for an Alacrán pic on the web for ages.. Finally found it here (in Venezuela) The site was added to the links pages this morning as well...Jim

I just thought it was such a weird (pointless?) variant, I would share it....
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 08:35 PM UTC
Jim
Thanks for the pics Neat looking conversion I wonder how hard something like that would be to do as a model
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 08:47 PM UTC
Interesting item. I actually started my military career on CEVs, so I know the dozer blade on an M60 series tank doesn't work as well as a commercial military bulldozer.

I would imagine that the scoop would be operated by the commander, much like the hoist winch is on a CEV.

Seems like an inefficient ditch digger. If you need the armor of an M60 tank to protect you while you dig, perhaps you should have more tanks to secure the area before you dig.

On the other hand, I am happy to see these dinosaurs being used in some capacity instead of becoming off shore reefs.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 09:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder how hard something like that would be to do as a model

I don't think this would be too hard. If you had a backhoe and an M60, The only real major modification that I can see would be the mantlet. Obviously there would be minor mods given the tanks purpose, but I don't think it would be nearly as hard as one would think.

Jeff
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:36 PM UTC
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another variant for m collection !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's see, start with academy's dozer tank, and then................................... well..............................um................................ I think I'll wait for a conversion set, besides, I still haven't finished my CEV conversion, though I do have the side attachments for the boom on the turret. Been entering too many campaigns recently with Move Out, Incoming, Korea, and Buckets plus finally got all my bits and pieces together for that 72nd scale sub.
 _GOTOTOP