_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Field repaint?
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 11:41 AM UTC
This may seem like a rather silly question, but in 1944 if German vehicles had been in the field for a year or more would they have been repainted or would grey still have been seen on vehicles particulaly in occupied areas of say France? I am building a Horch 1A for my "Deception" dio which is June 6th in Dieppe.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 12:09 PM UTC
The Germans switched to the dark yellow paint in Feb.1943. I would have to say it would be more probable that the dark yellow should be your base. I am sure there may have been exceptions but the yellow would be more common.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 12:12 PM UTC
well considering that we took france within a year or so i dont think that they would repaint the tank. I dont even think they would repaint even if they had time. also the tanks were usually painted white to match the snow. they hardly were even painted white also. the soldiers were usually in such a rush it was just big globs of water-based paint that usually washed off in the rain to spred around on the tank. By the way, that was a good question not silly
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 12:57 PM UTC
They were supplied with red brown and green for camo, but I don't know if they were supplied with dark yellow. Maybe if they were sent back for mayor repair they would repaint it.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 03:59 PM UTC
It probably depends on the vehicle and purpose it's used for. From 1943 Dunkelgelb was instructed to be the standard color for all German War equipment. So anything coming out off a factory after that date would have been Dunkelgelb. Other vehicles from before that date would have been repainted if the opportunity was there (refitting, R&R in the rear etc.). But then the paint would not have been wasted on things like field kitchens and other assorted rear echelon equipment.

Have a look at this link http://www.achtungpanzer.com/articles.htm
for a good, detailed articel about the subject. Also good for reference to any WWII German Armour.

Cheers
Henk
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 08:01 PM UTC
Excert from

Panzer Colors Camouflage of he german panzer forces 1939-45

Page 52

slightly re-worded for length but gist is correct.

Three color Camouflage 1943-1945

Increasing dissatisfaction with the dark gray base color in field commands led to the development of a new camouflage system.. ect russian steppes, ect. open fields .ect limitations of the dark gray paint became eveident.

The new system consisted of a new base color called dark yellow, all vehicles, weapons and equipment were to be painted in dark yellow at the factory.

IN ADDITION. new colors were issued for painting of camouflage patterns on the equipment. these shades were olive green and a red brown. These 2 colors along with the base coat color dark yellow, were issued in the form of concentrated paste much like shoe polish. The paste came in 2kg and 20kg cans and units were to order these pastes according to the estimated need of the equipment used. ect ect... order what was needed ect.....

The dark yellow paste was to be used for covering unwanted colors or portions of the camouflage schemes especially during changes in season.

HM 1943 no 181 dated february 18, 1943 ordered the three color system using the dark yellow as the base color. All vehicles and large items of equipment were to be painted dark yellow. Small equipment carried in the vehicles, radions, toolboxes, supply boxes and cabinets, ect. were to be left in their orignal color untill further notice.

HM 1943 no 181 also dealt with existing equipment all new material painted in dark gray had to be repainted dark yellow before issue to units. equipment already in use at the front was not repainted but the three camouflage paste colors were to be used to effect changes in the color scheme as required by local conditions. Equipment used by occupation troops and reinforcements or replacements to front line units had to be repainted as soon as possible. Repainting of front line equipment had highest priority. Many rear area occupation vehicles thus were not repainted.

This info prob creates as many questions as it answers but its whats in Panzer colors..
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 09:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the information. One of the things that I have come to realize, as there does not seem to be a definitive answer for support vehicles, particularly for vehicles constructed prior to Feb. ’43.
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the information. One of the things that I have come to realize, as there does not seem to be a definitive answer for support vehicles, particularly for vehicles constructed prior to Feb. ’43.

This is totally true, so unless you have a photograph of the vehicle you plan on building that shows that it was in dark yellow anything (well almost) goes because it cant be proven otherwise. All vehicle should have been repainted but that doesnt mean they actually were.
 _GOTOTOP