Hosted by Darren Baker
How to paint wood to make it look old
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:28 PM UTC
I made a building with a wooden floor. The thing is that the wood looks to new. Any tip on how to paint the wood to make it look older and more worn?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:59 PM UTC
What look are you going for. Anyhow you could stain it with a dark or light stain, or try an oil wash using raw umber. Burnt sienna oil wash will be a bit a redder, and for a greyish color, mix up some white w/ a touch of black. I think the oils would work better as it would show the wood grain more than the paint would.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 01:18 PM UTC
Someone did a post recently about soaking wire wool in a solution of some chemical and using the sludgy result to make wood look grey and old.
Anyone remember? I'll try and find it.

Also if you take the oils route, wash the wood with neat thinners first then it'll draw in the colour when you wash on the oils.

Cheers
Peter
:-)
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 01:38 PM UTC
Found it...

Quoted Text

Don't know if this is old news or not, but I learned this trick from a model railroader. When you want to weather wood, to give it that old faded look, take a gallon size container of vinegar and a piece of 0000 steel wool. Break the steel wool into small pieces and stuff into the container of vinegar. Place the container outside for a couple of days until the steel wool has dissolved. Once dissolved you can brush it onto the wood and it will give it the washed out greyish look of wood that has been out in the sun for years. I have tried it on balsa and bass wood, and was very happy with the results. If you don't like it your only out about 3 dollars. Just use caution on smaller strips of wood as it is easy to warp it if you use too much at one time. Hope this helps some of you.
Best Regards,
Robert Beebe

There was a follow up too titled Wood part 2.
Excellent tip from our very own Robert

Hope it helps...
Cheers
Peter
:-)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 02:32 PM UTC
Ola People

What I usually do is apply a wash of grey or green to balsawood. The thickness of the wash differs the aging.

Above are three planks from my latest finished piece. The most left one recieved a Lighter wash of grey then the pne to the right. The thinner one lying on the right got a light US green wash (humbrol 116 I believe) Couple of nailholes in it. Some ruststreaks. All treh washes on the planks are done with Humbrol Enamels.

Hope this helps

Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 05:36 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 05:38 PM UTC
One trick I really like to use that is also enexpensive, is to use artists' inks. I used a black ink and water it down and give it a wash. Works very well with all natural woods or fibres. You can find it at most artists type stores, Hobby Lobby and Micheals. It comes in handy for many different weathering effects related to dioramas and ground work. It is can be more effective that paint washes as the pigments are finer.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 06:39 PM UTC
Here's a few ideas.

1. Take a file or coarse sandpaper and scratch the wood or styrene to give a grain to the floor. Then use a finer sandpaper to smooth down the overly rough areas. You can use the back of your trusty #11 blade as well.
2. For wood, I use "Age-It" from Micro-Mark. Its a stain that chemically gives wood the aged look in grey or greenish gray.
3. Then, to give the uneven look that you seen in boards of old wood, I streak it with a brush that has a feathered end.
4. Sometimes, when I'm in a rush, I use the premade planks from Micro-Mark. They stain unevenly, which is the look I want.

Sealhead
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 07:49 PM UTC
Check out:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/34816&page=1

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/34878&page=1

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:43 AM UTC
There is a product available called Weather-it. It is a grey stain which when applied to bare wood, that makes the wood looked aged. The more applications your apply, the darker the results.

Patrick
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:42 AM UTC
You could also use Tamiyia's "smoke" color paint. You can thin it out or use it straight for a more worn look. Just paint it on untill you get the desired look..
 _GOTOTOP