_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Resicast Kangaroo anyone built it ?
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 09:33 PM UTC
Looking for opinions on the Kangaroo and the Badger that Resicast offers. Before I drop that type of coin it would be nice to hear from someone that has built them or at least seen them.

Thanks

Rob
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi Rob,
I recently came into two of them quite by accident and got them for a decent price. I haven't built them y et but the casintg is really nice and the and I have dry fit a few of the pieces and th ey seem to go together ok. IMHO it will go together quite nicely and if you have a few kits under your belt (witch im sure you do) it should be no problem at all. Its a great kit. my 0.2 Cdn cents
Cheers,
Bryan
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 11:05 PM UTC
Not so fast with that coinage, hombre! :-)

I was given a Resicast Ram Kangaroo hull by a friend and am currently ( and exceptionally slowly) turning it into a Ram OP. My littany of woe can be seen more fully at the BLOG I have had underway for some time on track link. Yuo can get there directly at:

http://www.track-link.net/blogs/31

In short, while the Resicast hull is fundamentally better dimensionally than the alternatives (Verlinden, H&K, S-Models), there are severe errors in the location of the turret ring, the location of the driver's hatch (out by over 3/8"!!) and the shape of the rear of the hull. The hull shape itself is off a bit, having been built upon the Italeri M4A1 which has not quite got the same shape as the Ram. The BLOG goes through most of the details.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Paul
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 11:47 PM UTC
Great anyone want two Kangaroo's. :-)
Thanks for the heads up Paul.
Cheers,
Bryan
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:50 PM UTC
Here is the thing I am not what I would call a scratch builder especially compared to the others here. My skills are lacking I was trying to work with a Lonestar RAM conversion I own but it lacks... fenders. I can live with some inaccuracies I just want to finish a RAM for my self in some fashion. So I was trying to build a RAM II out of that kit.

With the lack of fenders and my inability to make any that I would admit were mine I have been searching for something to stick the Lonestar turret on.

Any ideas?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been searching for something to stick the Lonestar turret on.

Unfortunately, my only suggestion for the Lonestar turret is to decorate your garbage pail with it. Without a doubt, it is the worst of the available kits in all respects.

In a little while (say a few days) , I'll have cast a reproduction of my OP Hull. Now, this is a late hull but it if the Lonestar turret were accurate, it would be OK. As it is, I can't say how the Lonestar turret will fit on an accurate hull. However, I would be willing to copy the late hull I am making and make them available. They will still need some work and, at least initially, still need fenders (as I haven't made the moulds for them yet) I will also have a proper turret soon.

If you can hold your horses for a bit and don't mind doing some conversion work yourself, in about a month or two I hope to have a late Ram hull, turret and separate fenders available for anyone who wants them. They'll still need work but you'll be a lot further ahead than any existing starting place.

Paul
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 09:54 PM UTC
[quote]Thanks for the heads up Paul./quote]
You know me, always trying to help! :-)
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC
Paul,

Sounds like a plan, I am certainly interested in whatever you are able to offer. The one thing that project did for me was make me realize exactly what a large task I latched on to for a first conversion which explains why its been in the boxes more than out of them for the last 3 years.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP