_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
T-34/76 1941 Alcove Diorama
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:23 AM UTC
Many of you saw when a few of us did a "mini" build of Dragon T-34 kits on the armor forum a few months ago. I said I would post when it was finished, so here it is...

This is a diorama recently completed by myself and my partner, Ray Weber. (We are AKA the Visor Brothers)

The Diorama features a basswood base, a Dragon 1/35 T-34 tank, Friul tracks, Moskit metal exhausts, MV headlight lenses, Warriors Figures, metal Hedgehog figure , and scenery done with styrofoam/celluclay base with assorted products for trees, bushes, rocks, logs, trees, etc... Base painting for the scenery was Tamiya acrylics with enamel and oil weathering, shadowing, and highlighting. Heavy snow is thinned Lightweight Hydrocal, and the light snow is baking soda. One tree is Woodland scenics and the other two are made from Verlinden, Woodland Scenics, and floral materials. Logs are real wood.

We were fortunate enough to win a Gold Medal with this Diorama a few days ago at the IPMS SLC chapters annual contest, the Gathering, in Layton, Utah. We were also awarded with a special award for the "Most Detailed" entry.

Hope you like it. You can see more shots in my gallery.

Scott Gentry
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
Congrats to the "Visor Brothers" for a wonderful dio. Cheers Kevin
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hi Scott

Great weathering. Very realistic and not overly done.

I think you captured it very well indeed.

Tom

TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:47 AM UTC
AWESOME DIO! one thing thought... though I didnt know that flowers bloomed during the winter?
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AWESOME DIO! one thing thought... though I didnt know that flowers bloomed during the winter?

The diorama is set in early spring, after a late snow. We struggled with the time period based on the figures and the tank, and this made the most sense to us.

If it would have been deep winter then the snow would have been deep and everything muddy. We wanted the signs of spring, some blooming and green vegetation, and some signs of cold. Frozen ground, skiffs of a last snow, that kind of thing.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the comments.

Scott
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:38 AM UTC
Nice dio man!!! although the grass on the background doesnt scale with the dio

anyway i love the way u posed and painted Ivans. the leather jacket looks real. Can u tell the figure are from which company?

great work Scott!
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice dio man!!! although the grass on the background doesnt scale with the dio

anyway i love the way u posed and painted Ivans. the leather jacket looks real. Can u tell the figure are from which company?

great work Scott!

Thanks for the comments! You are right, that 1:1 scale grass has got to go!!! :-) :-)

The figures are very nice, they are actually one set, and they are made by Warriors. The two figures in the front are two of the nicest figures you can buy IMHO, although the third one is not quite as good, he needs a new head. (The one in the background in the leather)

Thanks again from me and my buddy Ray!

Scott
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:49 PM UTC
Congrats with a job well done. Great dio
philp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 01:06 PM UTC
Scott,
Saw your dio at the Gathering. Very nice. I took a pic of it and posted it on the IPMS/SLC site under the Gathering (473 other pics as well). I really like the pics you took. What kind of camera did you use?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:03 PM UTC
Waw! Very nice! I loke the T-34!
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:31 PM UTC
Wonderful dio guys, concrats with your prizes

I just fell in love with that T-34
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 07:01 PM UTC
That's a wonderful dio. I like the weathering on the T34 and the fur coat best.

Three minor things though:

1) The eyes of one figure is bulging out.

2) The long grass is off scale, I think. But that is easy to remedy since you'll just have to trim it off.

3) A part of the rear of the tank is off the base of the diorama. Personally, I prefer the whole scene enclosed in the base. But that's just me.

Overall, its an outstanding job. I like it very much.

Angela
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
You know what stands out in my minds eye on this diorama - composition.
The entire diorama is cohesive and well put together. Even those who may not prefer certain elements are agreeing that overall this comes off as a great diorama.

Well done, deserves the medal it won.
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott,
Saw your dio at the Gathering. Very nice. I took a pic of it and posted it on the IPMS/SLC site under the Gathering (473 other pics as well). I really like the pics you took. What kind of camera did you use?

Phil,

Great to hear from you! My camera is an Olympus, 2.1 Megapixel, don't know the model offhand. It is pretty good. I think the key to model photography is using macro mode and lighting. I am hoping to get a nice Nikon Coolpix 4300 sometime soon. Those are great cameras. Thanks for the comments.

Scott
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:08 PM UTC
Shonen, Jurjen, Angela, Slodder,

Thanks for your comments...

Angela, the grass is meant to be that tall. Many of the photographs of these tanks were taken in Russia where you cannot see anything below the hull line due to the tall grass. It is something we intended to model that way.

Additionally, as Slodder mentioned, we spent a lot of time planning the layout of this piece, and on the end you refer to, we left the grass, dirt and tank hanging over the base on purpose. We wanted the viewer to get the feel of this diorama as almost "bursting out" of the scene, almost being bigger than the base it is contained on. The alcove is a refuge from the grasslands, the tankers are seeking a refuge, a place to take a break and discuss their next move... It is also meant to appear as though they have been there before.

I appreciate your comments, they are very good observations. Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Scott Gentry
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:28 PM UTC
Nice work on the figures especially.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:30 PM UTC
Nothing to tell about it, looks great.

Hilbert
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:02 AM UTC
Great Dio!Nice weathering effect on the T34!
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Angela, the grass is meant to be that tall. Many of the photographs of these tanks were taken in Russia where you cannot see anything below the hull line due to the tall grass. It is something we intended to model that way.

Additionally, as Slodder mentioned, we spent a lot of time planning the layout of this piece, and on the end you refer to, we left the grass, dirt and tank hanging over the base on purpose. We wanted the viewer to get the feel of this diorama as almost "bursting out" of the scene, almost being bigger than the base it is contained on. The alcove is a refuge from the grasslands, the tankers are seeking a refuge, a place to take a break and discuss their next move... It is also meant to appear as though they have been there before.

Oh okay. Sorry about that. I was just stating a personal opinion.

Very nice dio.

Angela
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh okay. Sorry about that. I was just stating a personal opinion.

Very nice dio.

Angela

Angela,

No apologies needed, I appreciated your comments, as much as I appreciated your compliments. I think that is the value of posting here, you get both types of comments....

Thanks again for looking and for posting your thoughts...

Scott Gentry
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 11:25 PM UTC
A spectacular piece of work. Ignoring minor details the whole scene works well and draws the viewer to look closer. When you do, you see more detail.
Even the 'bulging eyes' on one of the figures could be explained by the contents of the cup in his hand! :-)
 _GOTOTOP