Hosted by Darren Baker
Overall yellow jagdpanthers
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:45 AM UTC
hey guys I bhought the 72nd revell jagdpanther kit and I'm lookin forward to build it!The thing is I dont want to make a camo squeme,I want to do an overall dark yellow jagd...Do you have any pics or profiles you could show me?I got a profile that said it was from a late jagdpanther, based in france 1944 and it had the nš 123 on it's side. After a while I got another pic of a 1/1 jagdtiger also nš123 but with a 3 tone cammo squeme so I started thinking the profile could be a fake...Dunno what to do but it'll be an overall yellow late version...I would really appreciate your help on this and I guess it wont be dificult cause I'm only lacking the urret number and/or special markings/characteristics...~

Thanx in advance!
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC
In my search for the ideal rattle-can dunkelgelb, I read everything I could find. FWIW, I can't recall a color "profile", but anecdotally, the story from the Osprey "Modeling the Panther" book basically stated that there were actually a lot more plain yellow panzers than there were 2- or 3-cammo'd panzers.

IIRC, the Sqaudron Panther in Action book has a couple b&w pics of j-panthers that look a lot like plain ol' dunkelgelb.

So, I wouldn't hesitate to go plain dunkelgelb. May not be as colorful as an "ambush pattern", but likely more realistic in the long run.
JMHO!
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:15 AM UTC
HI

Yup, overall dark yellow is fine. In fact, sometimes you can have more fun weathering a single colour. Look at the recent T-34 dio!! Great job at weathering a single colour.

Tom
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:38 AM UTC
Agreed. The nice thing about a monochromatic finish is that it allows you to really work your magic with regards to weathering and scale finish. What I mean is that you can start with a dark shade, then airbrush a lighter shade on the open and exposed areas of the vehicle in order to create shadows and highlights. Then you can do washes and drybrushing to really bring it alive. My last three 1/35 vehicles have all been single color, and I have really enjoyed it. Dunkelgelb is a good choice for your big cat.

Scott Gentry

DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 04:44 PM UTC
Having in front of me the Militaria book on the Jagdpanther/JagdTiger, they show the following Jagdpanthers in overall dark yellow (assuming their captions are correct) in their color drawing section:

Fahrgestell V 101: One of the prototypes, based on a pic taken at Kummersdorf, November 1943. No markins at all.

Fahrgestell V 102: One of the prototypes, based on a pic taken at Kummersdorf, January 1944. There are traces of whitewash; in the upper lefthand corner of the side-skirts the prototype number (V 102) is painted in tiny black lettering). Balkenkreuz in upper front of hull (similar to 123 vehicle)

Jagdpanther nr 302, 3 Company 130th Panzer Regiment (Panzer Lehr): Hungary, spring 1945. The Balkenkreuz (black and white outline) is located at the front of the sidepanel (similar to 123 vehicle), immediately followed by the number in all white (height similar to height balkenkreuz), which seems to be a bit more squat (not as rounded). This vehicle has a basket attached to the left rear superstructure. Model seems to be a mid production (two step barrel, no rear-deck crew heater, no Flammvernichter). No barrelcleaning rods (or antenna) stowage tube on the side on the side.

Jagdpanther nr 121, Unit unknown: Germany, spring 1945. The Balkenkreuz (black and white outline) is located at the front of the sidepanel (similar to "123"). The numbering is similar to "123", though seems to be placed a little bit further to the rear (rear of the 2 is in line with forward edge of side-periscope). This vehicle has a basket attached to the left rear superstructure. Model seems to be a mid production (two step barrel, no rear-deck crew heater, no Flammvernichter).

They also show a whitewhashed Gross Deutschland early vehicle (late 1944), no zimmerit, only a black Balkenkreuz, locatain similar to "123" which seems to have had an all yellow camo.

In the black and white photographs, there are a good number which are, or seem to be, overall Panzergelb as well, both with and without zimmerit.......

I hope this helps a bit... (unfortunately, I do not have a scanner)...
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Christian Ankerstjerne

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:32 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want to apply Zimmerit, the vehicle cannot have an all-yellow base, as camouflage application was switched from the field to the factories prior to Zimmerit being phased out.

http://www.panzerworld.net/colours.html

Christian

from the axis-history-forum!Anyway I'm sticking with DutchBird's info because I've seen the tamiya 123 jagdpanther without zimmerit and Tamiya wouldnt give that kind of unaccurate info...

Thanx a lot guys
 _GOTOTOP