Hosted by Darren Baker
Accurate Armour Scimitars CRV(T) 1/15
majorproblem
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 132 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 02:05 AM UTC
Just wondered if anyone had come across these bad boys?
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?CFID=2603673&CFTOKEN=4797174&manufacturer=0&category=21&subcategory=91&product=291
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?CFID=2603673&CFTOKEN=4797174&manufacturer=0&category=21&subcategory=91&product=290
Or anyone even knew about them.....I had never heard or seen of them until a few weeks ago....needless to say both these kits have been ordered and are the next 2 projects :-)
If anyone has encountered these, built them, etc, I would appreciate any feedback as to any problems that I may come across.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
cant help you with your question about the AA kits butr you might like these two 1/16 kits by cromwell

price are quite good IMO for the size
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC
{edited)The February 2001 issue of Military in Scale has a 4 page article on a completed 1/15 Scimitar. Author is John Murphy. He comments that it comes with a lot of stowage.

The one in the article has the new gunner's sight but not the rest of the LEP upgrades like the new grills, GPS mast, etc.

Paul
majorproblem
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hi,
Yes thanks, I know of the Cromwell kits.
Paul Feb 2001 of what?...i.e. website, magazine, etc?

Carl
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 04:54 AM UTC
Ah, brain cramp. Military in Scale Feb 2001.

Paul
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 03:34 PM UTC
Just bought one 1/15 Scimitar cheap last week (60 per cent off Accurate Armour retail).

It looks like an excellent kit in the box, although the instructions are a bit vague as usual from AA. Lots of stowage and accessories and a three man crew. The figures are good but probably the weakest part of the kit.

There are decals photoetch, kinetic cables etc... included.

I'd rate the kit as a 9.5 on a scale of 10.

All in all an awesome kit even at full price!

A friend of mine in New Zealand built the kit some years ago, converted into a Scorpion. It looked good built up.

I plan to build mine as a Belgian vehicle one day...

Cheers,
Christophe
majorproblem
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 04:34 PM UTC
Christophe Excellent news thank you

I personally cant wait for them to be delivered, I think its still another 2 and half weeks yet.
Yours is the first "first hand" news I have heard about the kits....its funny as from the photos I have seen the figures looked good!

I have been thinking about converting the "Falklands" version to a Scorpion, but still not sure yet.

The other version will certainly be done as an Iraq conflict one.

Do you have any photos of the kit as it is?
I'm getting pretty used to vague instructions now, although not looking forward to more!

Carl
winchweight
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 04:55 PM UTC
60% off!! Where from Christophe??

C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 05:41 PM UTC
A guy selling his stuff on Hyperscale, one off...
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 05:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Christophe Excellent news thank you

its funny as from the photos I have seen the figures looked good!

I said they were good, just not as good as the best figures out there. I was a bit spoilt with the S&T 1/16 Tiger Crew...
majorproblem
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 06:38 PM UTC
Yeah I realised that, I worded it wrong
What I meant was if the figures are good, yet the weakest part of the kit, then the kit must be fantastic!
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 09:02 AM UTC
hometown hobbies has it in 1/35 i believe
just to let ya know

reb
majorproblem
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 10:41 PM UTC
Well, I finally have the 2 1/15 scimitars

First impressions of the kits were very very nice.
I was most impressed by the box, the packing of items, instructions, the vast array of parts and extras, photo-etch, ropes, large selection of decals and the overall high level of detail in the castings.

I would agree that the figures are probably the weakest part but still good.

HOWEVER!!!......After trying to get to grips with these things, and build some of the basics my impressions have changed hugely as I discover more and more problems.

Have any of you guys started building these yet?
If so have you encountered any of the below?

Many of the parts are broken, bits missing, for instance all the 4 hatch pivot points molded onto the turret top are broken off and missing for both hatches, in both kits!
The casting although highly detailed is pretty poor quality, many large block items such as the stowage bins are completely wobbly, looks like the mold got hot or something?!
So many airholes its untrue and massive amounts of flash everywhere, many, many, many badly finished edges.

Many parts are molded in such a way that its easier and quicker to scratchbuild them again rather than trying to get them off their molding bar.

My list is getting larger for parts missing out of the kits, such as rear stowage bins, headlight covers, not enough single track links, not enough catches, clips, etc, etc.
You seem to be given too much spare stowage that will not fit anywhere and not enough of the needed parts!!!

Some parts are molded completely mirror image to how they should be, the instructions and pictures (what few and small ones there are!) show them one way, yet the part is opposite in molding?!

The instructions are terrible!! Vague is an understatement!! A lot of guess work is involved, instructions show some parts incorrectly numbered, or leave you guessing for the numbers!

Can you tell the more involved with the builds I get, the bigger nightmare I am having?

Having said all that, the fit of parts is largely pretty good, suspension went together nice and easily, after the 4 hours of working out how some of the bump stops and shocks fit, then trying to find the parts!

What I have sitting here built so far, does look like it will be very very nice when finished, but these have to be the all time worst builds I have encountered so far!
In comparrison, I am also building (all resin, all 1/15 or 1/16 ) a Verlinden M113 (which you may have seen in here) an M3 Stuart, a Panzer2 and a Sol Panzer 38T , these are all joyfull to build!!....I am most impressed with the SOL kit and the Verlinden kits have been a dream so far (but I've not got to the tracks yet!)
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 12:26 AM UTC
From experience AA's kits are usually complete and well-moulded. If you've got problems with badly moulded or missing parts then contact AA, they're always willing to sort these sorts of problem out.
majorproblem
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 03:31 AM UTC
Have spoken with AA and they have been really helpful.
No problems in sending out new parts, etc, which is good

Must admit I was surprised with these problems though, considering the price of the kits in the first place and the fact that they were special order and we had to wait a few weeks for them to be molded.

Have also just discovered the vehicle markings on the box and in the instructions for the late version, are not in the decal sheet!! :-) :-)

Nevertheless, I am sure they will both be nice kits when completed.
Have attached pic of 1 of the builds so far
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 06:55 PM UTC
Looks great so far, must start mine one day, parts in my kit are well moulded it seems, but I need to do a closer inspection.

I am beginning to like large scale, finished my Trumpeter 1/16 T34-76 1942 model a few weeks ago.

Cheers,
Christophe
 _GOTOTOP