_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Decals M-26 DW
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 08:39 PM UTC
I usually apply a coat of dullcoat over the model then use Solvaset to place the decal on the vehicle. I do not want to screw up the magnificent decals for the Dragon Wagon---specifically the one of the Babe. So, I am contemplating altering my method by applying via Q-Tip Future floor wax at the location of the decal then using Solvaset. Can someone tell me if I am doing this correctly or should alter my tecnique? Will Future make the vehcile have a shinny spot?
thanks
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I usually apply a coat of dullcoat over the model then use Solvaset to place the decal on the vehicle. I do not want to screw up the magnificent decals for the Dragon Wagon---specifically the one of the Babe. So, I am contemplating altering my method by applying via Q-Tip Future floor wax at the location of the decal then using Solvaset. Can someone tell me if I am doing this correctly or should alter my tecnique? Will Future make the vehcile have a shinny spot?
thanks
DJ

Well, if it were me, I'd lay down the gloss coat first - before - applying the decal. Future won't create a problem for you because you're going to go back and dull the area. Those thick old Tamiya decals are pretty tough too - but if you mess up your "Babe" - I'll send you mine. I didn't use them on my miniature.

Gunnie
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:25 PM UTC
The way I do it is: I apply a gloss coat to the site of the decal. After that dries I apply the decal with the setting solution and let it dry. Then I spray a dullcoat over it.
No shine and sealed decals with no silvering.
HTH
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

Well, if it were me, I'd lay down the gloss coat first - before - applying the decal. Future won't create a problem for you because you're going to go back and dull the area. Those thick old Tamiya decals are pretty tough too - but if you mess up your "Babe" - I'll send you mine. I didn't use them on my miniature.

Gunnie

Sir Gunnie---tank you. I may "mess up" the Babe just to get yours'
thanks again
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:33 PM UTC
[quote]The way I do it is: I apply a gloss coat to the site of the decal. After that dries I apply the decal with the setting solution and let it dry. Then I spray a dullcoat over it.
HTH [/quot

Do you apply the Gloss Coat with a brush?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC
I apply the gloss coat with an airbrush. I spray the entire model so that I can do teh washes over a shiny finish too. I'm not sure a Q-tip would be a good idea because it might leave little fuzzies stuck in the surface of the tank.

Nic
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

The way I do it is: I apply a gloss coat to the site of the decal. After that dries I apply the decal with the setting solution and let it dry. Then I spray a dullcoat over it.
HTH [/quot

Yes, I do apply the gloss coat with a brush
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 11:49 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

HTH [/quot

I am inclined to go the brush way. My cheif concern is despite valiant attempts at masking I always manage to get over spray on the headlights and windshield.
thanks
DJ
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 11:57 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

HTH [/quot

I am inclined to go the brush way. My cheif concern is despite valiant attempts at masking I always manage to get over spray on the headlights and windshield.
thanks
DJ

That can probably be taken care of with some future. I haven't done windshields yet, but will shortly with the anti-tank dodge.
Also congrats to the newest general here!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC
BC---I used tacky glue to carefully place the windshields in place, then a Q Tip with some Future on it. Took off of the residue. They came out just great. Among the many superb features in the M-26 are the headlight set-up. They just look great. Gunnie directed me towards some lens for Sherman lights which I will try as I get into building the USMC Sherman. Putting the DW on the shelf will represent a major accomplishment...beautiful kit
DJ
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BC---I used tacky glue to carefully place the windshields in place, then a Q Tip with some Future on it. Took off of the residue. They came out just great. Among the many superb features in the M-26 are the headlight set-up. They just look great. Gunnie directed me towards some lens for Sherman lights which I will try as I get into building the USMC Sherman. Putting the DW on the shelf will represent a major accomplishment...beautiful kit
DJ

Sounds good. When I build that dodge, I'll have to try it. Thanks.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002 - 11:10 AM UTC
BC--I bought that vehicle. Appreciate you letting us know your thoughts on construction
DJ
 _GOTOTOP