_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Achzarit interior info ?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi all,
has anybody here info about the interior of this vehicle? I need more specifically information about the overall color, the seat color and so on.
I intend to build the Azimut kit which comes with some interior parts ? What about their accuracy, how could I improve the interior of this kit ?

TIA
olivier
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hiya, Olivier,

I too purchsed the Azimut kit (ouch, had to save up for that one)...got mine from LSA models in England --- excellent service, by the way!!!

After a lot of searching, I found the Tankograd Gazette article, which shows the interior as your typical off-white with a touch of grey. Don't remember what color the seats were, but I will check through the article again tonight... The excellent Osprey "Israeli Tank Based Carriers" book also features some good photos and an excellent cut away drawing.

The interior looks pretty accurate from what I can tell --- per the photos in the article, there are definitely small details (hoses, junction boxes and such, that can be added, but much of that will not be visible (even with open hatches) once the hull goes together!

Details and casting appear to be excellent --- it is kind of an awkward (not to mention heavy!) model...I just hope that I can get it all to fit together correctly! Arg!

Right now I am struggling with the fit of the top and bottom hull (and floor) --- haven't painted or finished them yet, just checking. Struggles aside, once I get this beast together, it is going to be a striking-looking kit!

The included Trumpeter T-55 tracks are not very good --- gonna replace them with Friul metal tracks...which means I have to scrounge a set of Tamiya T-55 drive sprockets...arg!!

Did you get the version with the figures...? If so, were they any good...?

The instructions are typical of garage manufacturers: pretty minimalist and unhelpful!

Oh, well! What do you expect for a King's Ransom?!!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 04:41 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments about the kit.
For the moment, I just intend to buy the kit. But I've quite made up my mind on this !! Just have to check the thickness of my wallet !

I agree with you saying that once the hull closed, few details will remained visible.
Nonnetheless, I would be greatly interested in some interior pics. I think I've got only pics of the driver compartment up to now. I must check this in a couple of days as I'm still away presently.

cheers
olivier
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 02:59 AM UTC
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/ows/OWS.html
this is the gun position
http://www.mheaust.com.au/IDF/Gallery/Nagmashot/Achzarit%20htm.htm model views

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/newvanguard93.html...book with interior pics/drawings

hope this helps ya

reb

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:27 PM UTC
Nice pics Rebel, tha article on Rafael's website is worth looking at.
thanks for sharing.

cheers
olivier
gilbertsakr
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:10 PM UTC
hi Folks,

I was recently able to secure a kit thru a friend in Russia

the casting is pretty neat and well detailed

would it be possible to share some pictures of an actual kit that was previously built?!

if so, please send me a message, it would really help me to get mine rollin on the bench

thanks

gilbertsakr
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:18 PM UTC
hi

the interior is typically in a semi-gloss white

all other parts and components are in different colors

seats can be done with what seems to be a canvas color highlighted in light khaki or buff with a dry brush to give it volume

all other fittings such as communication devices, ows, extinguishers are painted separately in their designated colors

there are 4 basic publications on this topic
1. Mouse House Enterprises - Military Briefs #2 by Marsh Gelbart
2. SABINGAMARTIN Publications, Israeli Wild and Cruel Cats - Part 1
3. SABINGAMARTIN Publications, Israeli Wild and Cruel Cats - Achzarit Heavy APC Volume 3 Part 1
4. Desert Eagle Publishing – IDF Armor Series – Achzarit Heavy APC #8
Google images – google search engine has an extensive range of images pertaining to the subject

The Kit consists of
3 bulky upper hull components, the front glacis and upper hull half-way, the rear ramp wall and the rear fuel and engine compartments
Upper hull breaches/hatches
Upper hull details such as mortar and support, ows weapon system, mag machine guns
Rear ramp breach
Complete interior set and components such as seats, cluster panel, inner details, extinguishers, steering wheel etc.
Photo etched sheet in micro details, hinges, rear basket, front light guards, machine ammo box casing, perforated read side panels

It is advised to replace the Trumpeter T-55 lower hull case with the Tamiya T-55A counter-part for more accuracy and fine details

Anti-slip granules
Like most IDF tanks and APC’s, the Achzarit is covered with the same treatment; Anti-slip effect can be achieved by applying a layer of glue to specific areas of the upper hull (see publications for reference) and then sprinkle the micro granules of dust over the top of the model to reflect an anti-slip effect – it is advised to use fine granules and to spread them by sprinkling motion over the glue but make sure it does not compile, the anti-slip should seem as if it is a layer on the top of upper hull surface

if you have images of a completed kit, please do share them with us so we can all align ours to yours

moreover, if you have one for sale, I would be interested in purchasing one or 2 more, coz mine suffered from a major crack at the upper hull level while in transit and most of the broken parts are so tiny to a point that makes irreparable (nothing is impossible)

in either ways, please let me know

cheers and happy modeling friends

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:13 PM UTC
For what it's worth...

From "Desert Eagle Publishing – IDF Armor Series – Achzarit Heavy APC #8 " :

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP