_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Fruilmodel Track
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 04:37 AM UTC
I took the big plunge and ordered Sherman track from Fruilmodels. (God, please do not let her find out how much it cost...I'd be dead meat!) Two questions. One, what should I be concerned with most during construction? Second, can someone steer me to the designators for Sherman track? What I wish to know is if certain track goes or does not go with different varieties of Shermans.
danke,
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 05:25 AM UTC
got the two types of suspension VVss and Hvss. Here is a link take a look at which suspension you have and get that type of track. I would of went with the AFV club about half the price but I won't tell.
http://www.marcopoloimport.com/afv.htm

if it has this it uses this kind

or this kind

or this one for the other one

Or this one

or this one

TheT 80s are Firefly type metal chevron I think The rest I am not good enough of a Shermaholic yet to know

TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi DJ,

Here Track Types at Sherman Registry by Hanno Spoelstra you have lots of infos about the different tracks used by Sherman tanks.

HTH
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
Howdy DJ,

I for one am glad to hear you 'took the plunge' and bought some Fruil's! I know it feels like a lot of pesos to spend on some replacement tracks....but just wait until they arrive. Believe me, you won't be dissapointed.
And secondly, if you took a poll of most armour modelers and you posed the question:
" If money was no object, what aftermarket replacement tracks would you choose?"
I'd bet 'dollars to doughnuts' that Fruil's would be the most popular choice.
Nothing compares for quality and accurate metal track 'sag'. Ya know why? Because the are metal!

My Farthing's worth.

Tread.

BTW, need some great tips on weathering them, PM me.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
Oh BTW, sgtreef...nice pics! That's got to be a lot of help regarding the different tracks available for the Sherm' ! Good work.

Tread.

P.S. It looks to me like you're more of a Shermanaholic then you think!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh BTW, sgtreef...nice pics! That's got to be a lot of help regarding the different tracks available for the Sherm' ! Good work.

Tread.

P.S. It looks to me like you're more of a Shermanaholic then you think!

Not as Good as you Thread
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 07:12 AM UTC
lol.....actually Jeff, I'm not a Shermanaholic at all. I have grave questions about the Sherman in general. I just tease the guys here about the 'grand ole Sherman' to get a 'rise' out of 'em.
You obviously are a better authourity on the Sherm' than I. I just felt the need to give a shout about your inclusion of those pics because I know it must have been a bit of work to not only 'know your stuff' but to assemble all of those pics {b]and[/b] post them!
Members who generously help out like that should be recognized.

Tread.

BTW, in case I'm typing it incorrectly, it's TREAD (short for TreadHead), not THREAD.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, in case I'm typing it incorrectly, it's TREAD (short for TreadHead), not THREAD.

Well Tread it was late in the day and the crown has kicked in all my miss spelling I blame on the drinking
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
Gentlemen---greatly appreciate your assistance
thanks again
DJ
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well Tread it was late in the day and the crown has kicked in all my miss spelling I blame on the drinking

Well then Jeff, if that's all you blame on the drinking, then you're a better man than me Gunga Din!
I blame a whole lot more than that on the evil stuff.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentlemen---greatly appreciate your assistance
thanks again
DJ

No problem DJ. Just glad to help.

Tread.

BTW, don't forget that track weathering offer.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hey! Just noticed you've both joined the General Staff!!

Let me be one of the first to congratulate you both!!!!

Tehnnnnn Hut!!!

Tread.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey! Just noticed you've both joined the General Staff!!

Let me be one of the first to congratulate you both!!!!

Tehnnnnn Hut!!!

Tread.

I Salute you too Tread . I see major General is in order. So you are my boss okay ,lets hit the golf course does this sound like a General
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 08:47 PM UTC
Okay on those Fruil you will love them, I gather you have never used them they are killer especially when you do say a Tiger or Panther kit or T/34.. Just pay close attention to each link as some might be a little off maybe a piece of track where pin goes thru is not their{I think I found the only one in the whole set}. Take it from me I missed one up the line cause these were real small but don't superglue the pins in until you get the links on the Tank to make sure of this then remove the run and glue away. And get youself a good pair of FLUSH SIDE Cutters. and use Brass wire instead of the supplied wire much better and easier. And allways leave one pin loose no glue even after applied incase down the road you want to do something else or put them on a different Sherman. If any more questions shoot me PM.

Oh yes use a small drill bit same size as your wire to clean up hole. Took me about 6 hours to get two runs very easy after you get going.
A liitle tip just have about 5 or 6 wires going at the same time insert in the hole one at a time push till it seats then pull back a slick flush cut push back in done. I tried the cut wire first kind of hard to cut little wires all the same every time at least to me it was
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay on those Fruil you will love them, I gather you have never used them they are killer especially when you do say a Tiger or Panther kit or T/34.. Just pay close attention to each link as some might be a little off maybe a piece of track where pin goes thru is not their{I think I found the only one in the whole set}. Take it from me I missed one up the line cause these were real small but don't superglue the pins in until you get the links on the Tank to make sure of this then remove the run and glue away. And get youself a good pair of FLUSH SIDE Cutters. and use Brass wire instead of the supplied wire much better and easier. And allways leave one pin loose no glue even after applied incase down the road you want to do something else or put them on a different Sherman. If any more questions shoot me PM.

Oh yes use a small drill bit same size as your wire to clean up hole. Took me about 6 hours to get two runs very easy after you get going.
A liitle tip just have about 5 or 6 wires going at the same time insert in the hole one at a time push till it seats then pull back a slick flush cut push back in done. I tried the cut wire first kind of hard to cut little wires all the same every time at least to me it was

Jeff--mucho thanks. I will certainly take advantage of your kind offer and fire you a PM when I get into it.
thanks again
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jeff--mucho thanks. I will certainly take advantage of your kind offer and fire you a PM when I get into it.
thanks again
DJ

After checking but before I shot my mouth off These don't use track pins just pop together they give you a little jig lay the bottom of the track in and using a paint brush push down on it done a lot easier. I guess cause of the end connectors are not pins DUhh should of thought of that.
 _GOTOTOP