Hosted by Darren Baker
new Arnhem diorama
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 04:32 AM UTC
Here are a couple of pictures from my latest piece of work, i know its been long over due

I have over the past week been working on the first part of my arnhem diorama, the bridge or a cross section of it

The bridge has been made from layers of foam card stuck together then covered in a layer of cork (thanks for the advice Carlos), plastic strip, card and tube has been used to create the structure of the bridge.

a couple of pictures to tease you with:-

more late!!

cheers

keith forsyth
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
great work there. i liked it very much,especially the lower details of bridge show lots of patience and skill.
... and good to see back here after a long break Keith.
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
Great start to your project quite an undertaking,but i can see from your pre/lim work that there is going to be a great deal of detail, cant wait to see it develop.
Keep us posted.Cheers tango 20 chris
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 05:59 AM UTC
Nice detailing on the bridge!Keep the pics coming!
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 06:34 AM UTC
Really like the odd angles of the bridge deck.. Wondering if the main pier post will be the finish of the dio base or if you will add water? I also like the bolts along the main girder. Keep posting the progress!!
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 07:42 AM UTC
I have always like the look of bridge dio's that give out a superb demension. The details of the lower half of the your bright are awsome they give that detail that a dio needs. What type of AFV's are you going to put on it or is it only going to be figures.

I can't wait to see the textures you use to bring this peice together.

Happy Modeling
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:54 AM UTC
Will there be more pieces? That section looks great
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 02:52 PM UTC
Ah superb .... a new Arnhem diorama. I just love it when people pick this battle for a diorama subject. It keeps the memories to those heroic actions alive.

As far as the pics are concerned...excellent start mate. A very creative scene you're doing there. I love the first steps of this diorama.

What scene will you be building on the bridge ? The wrecked German vehicles, German vehicles crossing the bridge or the attack of the 2nd Battalion ?

Be sure to show us more when progress has been made. This is truly a great creative idea !

Keep up the good work mate !

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 03:36 PM UTC
Looking great!
cant wait to see it finished, i also wanna know what you are gonna put on it though?
cheers
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
Docdios -

Outstanding details on the bridge and those pictures of the earlier stages are very helpful. Thanks. With so many possibilities for "populating" the dio, I was wondering if you'd maybe thought of adding some other details to the "bridgework" underneath, like showing it rigged with explosives, ready to "blow" while the fighting goes on above? That would bring attention to that terrific detail and work you did there. Or would that distract too much from the rest of the dio ? Can't wait to see this one's progress.

Blade48mrd
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
Excellent concept... the multi-level bridge will make an eye-catching diorama.... and the bridge itself was the heart and soul of the ill-fated operation, so this will really make it readily identifiable.

What do you use to glue things to the cork? Cork to cork wouldn't be a problem, but what is your experience in joining plastic to the cork?
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
In all honesty this is the first time i have really tried to use the cork, the main reason being the saving in weight compared to a plaster cast item.

The bridge will only be supported by the central piece so had to be ballanced and as light as possible. I have been using a PVA water proof glue to secure the cork to the foam card construction, I have not yet tried to secure it to any thing other.

The cork i have used is taken from square floor tiles from a hardware store, so hopefully will be quite hard waring and will last, but only time will really tell

cheers

keith forsyth
 _GOTOTOP