_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Thunder Run Abrams
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 12:47 PM UTC
Just finished reading "Thunder Run." Great read. Anyway, I am working on the Tammy kit of the M1A1 and was wondering if there was anything besides AM tracks and anti-skid I needed to do to make a decent model of the beasts that went downtown. I am assuming I should leave the APU off. I plan on adding the IFF panels, etc. Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I plan on taking this to my first contest (in a dio) in about 7 years and want to be able give props to my Armorama buddies.

Thanx in advance,

Shaun
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 12:59 PM UTC
what if you die within 7 years? can i have it?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am assuming I should leave the APU off.

If you are talking about the right, rear, hull mounted APU, that is correct. It would have a turret mounted APU though. Also, something many people leave off, fill the smoke launcher with smoke grenades. They should stick out about 1/16 inch and are pale green in color. Most 3ID tanks also had the extra bussle rack basket on the rear as seen in the new Dragon USMC kit. Dragon used a 3-7 CAV, 3ID vehicle for referance on the extra storage basket. The USMC version extra rack can be found in the new ACADEMY M1A1 Iraq 2003 kit.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 04:14 PM UTC
Almost done with the book myself...GREAT READ! Highly recommended- very stirring story!

Been pondering various dios myself- anxious to see yours!

Also- does anyone have any pics or links to pics forthe various actions along the "Thunder Run" route?
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 05:17 PM UTC
Shaun:

The Tamiya kit no. 269 has the turret APU unit you need. If youwant to see what you can do with the kit take a look at my gallery. Lots of great stowage comes with the kit. I scratch built the extended turret bustle rack that 1-64 used. Also note, for complete accuracy you need to scratchbuild two jerry can holders. I did not do this, but in one I am building now I will be doing so. Some crews stored them on the same side of the turret, and others stored them one on each side. Also, every tank had an exhaust deflector shield hanging off the turret. Crews tended to use it for storage too.

There are two books by Concord that show good photos of 3rd ID tanks and Marine ones too. Special Ops Victory in Baghdad and another Special Ops one that I can't remember the name.

A web search can help you too. Always look for the extended bustle rack and you'll know you have a 3rd ID tank.

The markings will be a challenge too. The decals in the kit are not 2nd Brigade tanks. Archer sells one set that will help, but they are not complete. They are missing some QTA numbers on the side and bumper codes on the rear. But you can probably make these yourself, or hint at them and cover them with dust.

The Tamiya kit has the CIPs you'll need, and lots more goodies like water bottles. The box says M1A2 but it can be built as an M1A1 too and is meant for OIF.

Bob
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. Sounds like I have the wrong kit. Looks like a quick trip to Hobby Lobby is in my immediate future.

Thnx again,

Shaun
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The USMC version extra rack can be found in the new Dragon M1A1 Iraq 2003 kit.

I think you mean the ARMY version extra rack...Eduard has released a PE set for the USMC extra rack.

Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you mean the ARMY version extra rack...

Sorry, I meant the new Academy M1A1. It has the USMC version extra rack. Dragon M1A1 USMC, Iraq, 2003 has the US Army version extra rack.

Academy USMC Rack

Dragon US Army Rack
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 11:21 AM UTC
Okay. I went to the Lob and bought the tammy kit that has the turret mounted APU. Now, a somewhat stupid question: I want to build the M1A1HA version, right? With the big lugs on the ammo storage blow off panels? I don't have a decent bookstore within 2 hours of my house or I would have bought reference material instead of burdening you guys. I am not really this big of an idiot, trust me...

Thanx in advance,

Shaun
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to build the M1A1HA version, right? With the big lugs on the ammo storage blow off panels?

Yes.

Also, you want to use part D21 despite what the instructions say. Army vehicles use this part too, and 1-64 vehicles all had it attached.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 01:13 PM UTC
Thanks, Burik. That's what I thought. I never would have thought that with six Abrams tank models in the stash I would have to dash out and buy one more. I also picked up another tammy OIF equipment set so it was a good trip. Just one more reason why this is the best site on the interweb thingy. When I get this bad boy done and take it to Indy this winter I will know I have my #@&* straight.

Thanks again everyone.

Shaun

/How did I miss the Abrams campaign?/
 _GOTOTOP