_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
PHOTOS: ON-DISPLAY
  Hunter Killer
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC
Steve brings us one of his fine works in this diorama.
Here is his description of the diorama.

Quoted Text

The thing represents a JSII in central Germany having apparently fought its way up to the street corner (an emergency, hastily constructed firing position).
Unbeknown to the crew Hans has hidden out of sight and fancies doing the anti social thing of lobbing a Panzer Faust into the engine deck of Ivan’s JSII once it’s fired and begun moving off to a (safer) distance.
The cobbles are mung beans (never eaten them) and the pavement is ubiquitous plastic card and foam board.
The house is a £3 Italeri cheapie skinned with card and fitted with scratched floors and sundry fittings. Likewise the wooden door was scratched with plastic, brass sheet and wire.
The figure is from the Dragon Volksturm set and the JSII is from the same manufacturer wearing an unusual camo of sand and earth brown. The dragon decals had fractured terminally in the box before I built it so I got hold of an Eduard mask set for alternate JSIIs and was smitten by the camo – I even did some research on the web and found artwork supporting its existence.

Hunter Killer

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 07:00 PM UTC
Ola Scott

In one or another strange way the link is not working maybe it is an effect of the Glitches in the site anounced couple of days ago
Here is the working link:
Hunter Killer

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:15 PM UTC
nice dio good to see an unusual cammo job on the Js11 instead of battered green got any pics of the cammo scheme?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:50 PM UTC
Hmm not sure why the link went dead. Both are working now - Jim? Faust - thanks for putting in the hot link. Nice to know people are looking out for you
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 05:32 AM UTC
I really liked the camouflage on the tank.The figure is good too.Thanks
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
interesting camo scheme for the tank! good job
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 07:07 AM UTC
I like the concept and the lay-out. It tells a story in a small space. All too often it's hard to show both sides of a fight as in a modern war enemies just don't get that close.

I believe that both the tank and the scene are too clean. Not enough dirt & rubble (where is the rest of the building? It should eb piled up all around...) The Russians were notoriously bad at maintaining their vehicles. Even a new JS2 would have accumulated a lot of rust & dust.

In any case - good work
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 06:42 AM UTC
I like the dio, but at first I paniced because I thought I was getting stalked for not bringing any content to the site...

I must say I like the composition alot! Very well utilized area!!
Verboten
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 202 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
Teh diorama looks fantastic. The color scheme on the Js11 looks wonderful. I also like the ruined house and all the rubble in the street. Overall good feel to it.
The_Doctor
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

put quote text here

Hi - Sorry about the dely responding.
You'll find a colour side profile of the tank (part of the 4th Guards Tank Army in summer 1944 at:
www.battlefield.ru/is2_1.html
The site is a mine of great info and well worth a spin.
Apologies for the poor quality photos of the dio - I'm just starting out on the digital photos front - the next submission will be much lower contrast and well up to speed.

Best regards

Ogri
The_Doctor
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

nice dio good to see an unusual cammo job on the Js11 instead of battered green got any pics of the cammo scheme?

Quoted Text

put quote text here

You'll find a colour side profile of the tank (part of the 4th Guards Tank Army in summer 1944 at:
Apologies for the poor quality photos of the dio - I'm just starting out on the digital photos front - the next submission will be much lower contrast and well up to speed.

Best regards

Ogri
The_Doctor
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really liked the camouflage on the tank.The figure is good too.Thanks

Best regards

Ogri
Kahuna
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 09:24 AM UTC
I like the dio very much.
The camo scheme is interesting and very well painted, but I think some more weathering would improve the look of the tank.
The tracks are amazing.
How did you create the net?

Cheers!

Ori
kiltman
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 02:47 PM UTC
That fellow has found himself in a interesting position. Do you wait to shot or nail it now. Very nice dio.
The_Doctor
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 11:14 PM UTC
[quote]I like the dio very much.
The camo scheme is interesting and very well painted, but I think some more weathering would improve the look of the tank.
The tracks are amazing.
How did you create the net?

Cheers!

Ori
Hi, Sorry about the delay in responding. Thanks for all the comments - much appreciated and helpful feedback. There's no magic about the net - it's a plain old Verlinden diorama accessory fixed with watered down white glue. An overspray of matt varnish (heavier in places) mutes the original colour and gives something of a weathered feel. The tracks were sprayed Tamiya Dark Earth followed by the ubiquitous Verlinden 'protective layer of matt varnish. This was followed by a heavy application of various shades reddish / brown pastel chalks (about five or six in all I think). The chalk was 'fixed' with another spray of matt varnish. Simply varying the quantity of varnish sprayed on (i.e. keeping it patchy and a bit random) gives some mixed tones around the tracks - the varnish 'washes' some of the chalk into crevices and up against raised features which again changes the appearance. Varnish always reduces the effects of the chalk so it's necessary to 'over do' the effect in order for it to look ok after the varnish is on. My tank's been running in dry conditions for a while before finding itself at the street corner. Best regards to you and happy modelling!
The_Doctor
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 11:17 PM UTC
[quote]That fellow has found himself in a interesting position. Do you wait to shot or nail it now. Very nice dio.
Thanks Mike - I appreciate you taking time out to post some comment. Best regards, Steve (:-)
 _GOTOTOP