My M48A3 project
rbleathers
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 07:50 AM UTC
Howdy All,

Here's some pic's of my M48 in the initial stages of destruction. I'm adding a complete interior and engine compartment to it. As per these shots, I'm cleaning out the interior and prepping it for the wiring harnesses. The turret is gonna be removable so the interior can be seen. I'm further along then this but this is a trial to see if I can actually post these pic's right.

Regards,
Ray Leathers

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3360
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
Looking good Ray! Thats a lot of work, but I know your upto the task bud! Thats going to be a killer model when done. Now you also have an engine for the M48 to dont you? Thanks for sharing bud!

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 07:35 AM UTC
If I remember correctly, you are going to depict the after-effects of a mine on this. Look forward to seeing the completed project
rbleathers
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 06:09 PM UTC
Howdy All,

I'm making some headway, I think. Here's a few more pic's of the carnage.
Ray

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 11:46 PM UTC
Wow Ray, good progress! That engine sitting in its compartment looks awesome, you go dude !

Garry
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
looking good, I can't wait to see it finished.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 01:18 AM UTC
Definitely keep us posted - you don't see to much in the way of modern interiors.

Looking good so far.
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 02:28 AM UTC
Great idea on your M48A3 kit. Work looks great so far. Keep sending us pics as you proceed

I've always had an interest for the M48A3, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with !!

Cheers !!

Alpen
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 12:30 PM UTC
Looks like a lot of good work. There is one small problem with the M48/60 engine kits. They do not have the heat shield that covers the transmission. It is a separate aluminum-colored shield that starts at the top rear of the engine's heat shield and curves down and ends at the transmission, level with the bottom of the rear grill doors. There are two holes, one on each side where the exhaust pipes come thru the shield. The shield forces the "now hot" cooling air that has been drawn thru the two large cooling fans on top of the engine to go out the rear grill doors. If the transmission heat shield is not in place, the hot air will get drawn back into the engine compartment and back over the oil coolers, over heating the engine and transmission.

The heat shield has to be removed to be able to disconnect the final drives from the transmission.

I don't know why they do not include it in the sets.

I am not trying to throw cold water on your project - it is obvious you have a lot of good work . It is a problem with the engine kit.
rbleathers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 02:03 PM UTC
Hello Jeff,

Thanx for pointing that out. I'm finding tons of goodies that the engine set has forgotten to mention. I like the engine set but was already prepared for the reality of having to actually fit it in the model.
I'v had to cut the one piece molded engine compartment into several pieces just to fit the engine in. The worst part is the final drive and the transmition do not line up. Easily fixed but still a glich in the works. I'm not quite to the point of the engine you are describing so Thank You for the heads up.
I love doing scratch work. The best part of modeling in my opinion. Anyway, Here's a a pic of the Legends Vietnam sandbags and Stowage kit I have for my project. I'm only using some of it but the whole lot is worth the price. Here's a few shots of the turret base and floor I'm trying to align. It looks great so far but I'm wearing beer goggles at the moment.
Thank you to all you guys for your encouragement.

Regards,
Ray Leathers

ahueger
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 214 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
That's gonna be one cool kit , keep it up and keep us posted! Might be a mighty job to build a dio around that ...
- Andreas -
 _GOTOTOP