_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
My "techniques demonstrator" Panther Ausf. A
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 11:08 AM UTC
This is the first tank kit I've done in ages. She's nearly complete. The idea was to use it as a vehicle to try out teshniques. This is the much maligned Tamiya Panther A. The idea was to try my hand at zimmerit, camouflage, chipped paint, battle damage, scratch building (armor skirts), weathering, etc. I even hand stenciled the number 127 on the sides of the turret to see if it would even work. So how does she look? Not 100% complete but close.

slodder
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
The zim and skirts look good. The camo is very unique, I've never seen it like that before.
The shell holes have a bit to much black around them in my opinion. It's well done and very convincing, I just think the diameter of the blackened area is a bit big.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 02:36 AM UTC
I have to agree with Slodder. My first impression was that you were building a burned out vehicle. To me the blast points look like penetration holes where the fire excaped from the interior (could be the photos though). Which would work for that effect so keep it in mind!

But as a test vehicle all the other techniques look great.

Do you have other builds you are planning to incorporate your new found skills into?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to agree with Slodder. My first impression was that you were building a burned out vehicle. To me the blast points look like penetration holes where the fire excaped from the interior (could be the photos though). Which would work for that effect so keep it in mind!

But as a test vehicle all the other techniques look great.

Do you have other builds you are planning to incorporate your new found skills into?

To be quite honest I had considered the penetration holes as outlet holes for fire but it happened more by accident than design. The blackening around the impact sites was done with black pastels and as I brushed it on I could see how effective it looked. As a burned out vehicle I think I would have gone with a smaller diameter soot/blast area with an elongated flame-licked/blackened patch at the tops of each shot hole.

Thanks for the compliments. The Panther as a lot of fun. I've always primarily built 1/24 scale sportscars. They aren't as fun as you have to be so exacting and everything has to look perfect.

I currently have a King Tiger underway (Tamiya) and just last week I purchased a Dragon E100 Super Heavy Tank (the "E100 help" thread is mine). My attention has moved to the E100, though, as I wait for my replacement turret from Dragon, I may switch back to the King Tiger.
 _GOTOTOP