_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
best t-62 and t-72 and t-80 kits
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 07:32 PM UTC
Seems I asked this question before, but I couldn't find the post thereby I still don't know. Always looking for new areas of interest, I've got the Tamiya T-55 kit and thought to add some mates for it. So advice on modern Soviet Armor kits which are good enough for OOB
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 11:02 PM UTC
Here's one thread

Cut and paste into your navigation bar:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.phpop=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=12288&page=1
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC
For some reason, the above url isn't working for me. Any way, I will assume you are talking about 1/35 scale.

For a T-62, Tamiya has the only kit available. It is old and not one of their best renderings, but it looks like a T-62 when completed. Just don't expect it to look nearly as good as their T-55. Eduard does a real comprehensive PE set for it (#35507) and Barrel Depot does an aluminum barrel for it as well (#35006). Model Kasten does tracks for it (K-12). Verlinden does an update set for it as well (#1627).

Tamiya does the best T-72. Purists will list all the inaccuracies with it, but again, it looks the part when done. There are countless aftermarket accessories for this kit to make most variants.

Dragon makes several T-72 variants, both with and without reactive armor. Not bad kits and relatively inexpensive. They were made prior to the fall of the Soviet Union so they are not the most accurate T-72s available. Kirin reboxed the kit with some add on parts to give the Iraqi T-72 Lion of Babylon and Kuwaiti M-84.

Zvezda reboxed the Dragon kit. Avoid the Trumpeter T-72. Esci/AMT/Ertl put out a T-72 and T-74 that were very inaccurate. These were also made before the T-72 was available to the West for inspection, so don't blame them for the lack of accuracy.

The T-80 is made by Dragon in several variants. It suffers from similar problems that their T-72 series suffered from.

Skif makes the better T-80 kits. I believe they now do two different types. Detail is softer than the Dragon kits, but it is generally thought of as more accurate. Lindberg made a T-80 a long time ago that was a rather fictional "modern" Soviet tank. Good for a "Soviet-looking" tank kit, but no where near accurate.

A couple other Soviet era tanks that you may be interested in are the T-64. Skif makes three variants of this tank. Not a great kit, but not a bad kit by far. The tank didn't live a long service life though.

The final one would be the T-90. Kirin did a conversion for the Dragon T-72 to make a T-90. I believe there is a better conversion out for the Tamiya kit though.

There is actually a great deal of aftermarket accessories for most of these former Soviet tanks. Have fun with them.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 05:53 AM UTC
I agree with Rob on his assement. Though I have to add that Skif T-64 offerings are some of their more rough releases, but then again they are the only Plastic T-64s out there.

Zvedea is supposed to release a T-90 in plastic, but I think its going to be most likely based on DML T-72 kits that they are reboxing at the moment...but maybe we'll be suprised

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 07:47 AM UTC
That all goes along with things I had heard pretty much most everything was noticably innacurate and not minor thngs. I'm not one of the rivet counters but it seems like the only true recommendation I saw was for the Tamiya t-72. Hopefully someone will put out a good T-62 in near future.
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 08:54 AM UTC
for checking old topics u've posted, go to home, click on ur name (in the active user menu) and click on topics started.

otherwise, I have no idea about the answer to your actual question
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 12:20 PM UTC
Crap....try this:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/12288&page=1
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 07:50 AM UTC
Oh boy:

T-62: Aside from what has been mentioned, CMD and SP Designs do have some upgrades for this kit, mainly new turrets. Overall, the Tamiya kit scales out to more 1/32 scale, so...(rumors are Tamiya may release a New tool T-62 in the future, but you did not hear it from me... )

T-64 The T-64A from Skit if the most accurate of the bunch. The other two T-64's really need a new turret to look the part.

T-72 I am happy with the Dragon offerings, the T-72G/M being the most accurate overall. The Tamiya T-72 is very nice except they screwed up the turret. Once you have been looking at pics of T-72's to any extent the messups become apparent. Most people can live with this problem though. Many, MANY aftermarket turrets to correct this. I suggest Anubis Creations for a replacement.

T-80 series: See this link:

http://members.tripod.com/mmfs0/reviews/t80/index.htm

T-90: I have buil the old Kirin conversion...it is for a T-72BM. AEF Designs and Terre Models do supposed T-90 conversions as well, but they have some accuracy problems as well.

Hope it all helps! :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
I knew that btwn Jaques and Sabot I'ld get the toal scoop. Can't afford aftermarket stuff, as I said looking for OOB. I'm not in a hurry (still have 65 + to build including some whoppers like that 72nd U-boat and 2 - 350 scale carriers) so maybe a new and improved T-62 will finally make an appearance... GO DRAGON< TRUMPETER< OR TAMIYA
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 10:23 AM UTC
Well, for a "companion" to the Tamiya T-55 and relatively cheap AND still a reasonable vehicle, get DML/Italeri/Zvezda T-72M2

This is probably the best overall vehicle. You cannot build it with the top track runs, but you do not need to either.

I will post a pic or two of my build of the beastie soon.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 10:34 AM UTC
I'm not the know-it-all of Soviet vehicles by far. I do have most of the available kits though. I'd love to see new tool T-62, T-80 and T-90s by Tamiya. Given only one choice though, I'd rather see the T-62 retooled.

The Tamiya T-72 is good enough for me. I recently picked up the Kirin T-90 conversion because it was 30% off at my local shop. I think I got it more to round out my Kirin Warsaw Pact armor collection than for its accuracy. Athough, I think I'd be hard pressed to point out all the inaccuracies in the turret.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hey Sabot,

the problem with the Kirin kit is not so much a problem with the turret (if indeed that is what your comment referred to) but to the fact that the truly unique T-90 details are not in the kit. The kit came out right when the russians decided marketing a T-72 was bad considering its performance and so, when they added new doo-dads, they renamed it. It is really a souped up T-72 with much better electronics.

What the Kirin kit builds is a fairly respectable T-72BM, kinda the half-step before the T-90.

As for Tamiya's kit, like I said, you don't really notice the "wrongness" of it until you have been looking at references and such, just like dealing with the T-80.

It is sorta like what is wrong with the Trumpeter M1A1 front turret facing. Not everyone notices it until it is pointed out.

Oh, and as for hte Skif T-80UD...the engine deck is poo-poo. Not sure what they were trying to do, but no prototype of their engine deck exists so far as I can find. Basically, it is missing the reinforcement bars.
 _GOTOTOP