_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best WWII Light Tank?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent point Gunnie, in the second paragraph of your post dated ( 2002 02 19 07:48:59 PM ). Sorry, I don't know how to include the bolded 'qoutes' thing.
Anyway, about the A/C modeling community being more 'picky' and/or tenacious about what exactly they expect from the manufacturers in regard to the accuracy of their kits and detail accessories. Do you really think we as the Armour community expect less? Maybe that's a question that should be presented to the group for input. Never thought about it, but it's a good point. I've always just 'figured' a way to do it myself. Hmmm, interesting fodder.
My local hobby shop almost always has a 'clearance' sale of aviation & automotive extras, but seldom armour stuff
I don't know, I'm not learned enough to have an opinion on this. So I'll just shut up .

Hey Tread!

Yeah, I think the A/C guys are both more picky and more tenacious than the tame & sane armor modeling community When I built 'em (yes, ashamed I am) I remember obsession over panel lines and such on 1:72 scale Phantoms! Then, I fancied myself as having "grown up" to armor modeling. I'm just so happy to get a favorite subject cast in something akin to resin or plastic, I just dive right in, past all the glaring boo-boos and other unsavory aspects of the kit, figuring I'll fix it along the way. I feel good that I can tackle just about anything that comes along in armor modeling and look for that next mountain to climb.

When I sit back and listen to buddies talk about the next A/C release, it is nearly a boycott if the wing root is too shallow, or the chord too deep. One buys it, and tells his friend, and so on and so on, until no one buys it - or an aftermarket fix appears. It's amazing to watch. A/C modelers get major component fixes in aftermarket as fast as armor modelers get a new variant of a WW II German AFV - faster most of the time. Even the thick decals we bemoan from giants like Tamiya and Skybow are virtually a thing of the past for A/C modelers - they wouldn't stand for it.

A group of armor builders gets together, talks about the kit du jour, and shrugs off the undersized road wheels, anemic turret, or skimpy detailing and comes together on a plan on how to attack it. I don't see it as being complacent - it appears more resourceful and opportunistic.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP