_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Halftrack with 4.2" mortar
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:59 PM UTC
I was browsing through a booklet on conversions at a local hobby shop and in it was a conversion of a halftrack to mount a 4.2" mortar. Supposed to be used in the early days of Vietnam. The mortar fired forward and it also had some M60s mounted.

I'd like to find out more about this vehicles.

Paul
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 03:31 PM UTC

....me too. And pics would be dandy as candy!

Tread.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 11:55 PM UTC
Try the Hunnicutt book on half tracks. I look tonight and see if there is anything.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hello,

I just checked through the Squadron/signal book on M3 Half-Track in Action book and here is what i found in it on Mortor Half-tracks.

M4/M4A1 MMC

The M4 Mortar Motor Carriage was an M2 modified to carry a 81 mm mortar.

M21 MMC

a M3 that carried a 81mm mortar.

572 M4's were made
600 M4A1's were built
and 110 M21's were built

T21/T21E1

Variant of the M3 was similar to the M4 and M4A1 but mounted a 4.2 inch mortar T21 fired to the rear. T21E1 fired to the front.

But due to the lessening requirement for half track carriers and an increased interest in fully tracked vehicles, the project was Terminated.

now from the same book a bit about american half track service in indochina.

the initial French forces in Inochina included M2's, M3's, M5's and M9's all standard troop carriers.
as the war progressed additional half-tracks were supplied by the U.S. (types not named in this book) also some were supplied to the South Vietnamese army. Also states that there is no hard evidence that any U.S. Forces used any half-tracks because by then the M113 APC was used.

Also the largest Post War user of American Half-tracks is the Israeli Defense Force. These were armed with whatever they could fit on them or modified for specific field uses.

So from this reference it seems unlikely that there were any 4.2 inch mortar half-tracks in vietnam unless it was a modification made by the french or the south vietmanese...

I too am interested in this varient and if anyone has any other info let us know
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 12:34 AM UTC
some semi-related info on this topic. maybe..

M106 tracked 4.2 inch mortar carrier (operational)

The M106 is a light weight, low-silhouette Armored Personnel Carrier designed to transport a 4.2 inch mortar and crew. The vehicle is capable of amphibious operation on inland lakes and streams, extended cross country travel over rough terrain, and high speed operation on improved roads and highways. Movement of the tracks propels and steers the vehicle on both land and water. It's low weight allows it to be air transportable. Built in the early 1960's by Food Machinery Corporation of San Jose, CA, it is one of a large variety of vehicles using this same chassis and power train. This vehicle has seen extensive combat experience in Vietnam and in all theaters of war all over the world. It was one of the U.S. Army's first diesel powered vehicles, utilizing the diesel's fuel efficiency and lower flammability. It is used by almost every free country, with over 120,000 being built, it is the most popular tracked vehicle ever built. It is built of aluminum, weighs 21,000 tbs., and is operated by a crew of four men. The Detroit Diesel engine provides top speeds of 40 mph.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 12:40 AM UTC

4.2" Chemical Mortar T21

The T21 mounted a 4.2" Chemical Mortar in a test. The T19 was basically the same as issued M3A2 Half Tracks.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 01:24 AM UTC
I would be interested in this as well.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:22 AM UTC
The book wasn't good enough to buy just for the one article. Mostly had some of that WWII stuff in it.

The mortar was mounted a little off to one side and halfway up with an ammo rack on the other side.

If anyone lives by Bedford, TX then they can stop by Hobby Maker and take a look at the booklet. It's 30 to 45 minutes away for me and not worth the drive for that alone.

I assume it was based on an actual vehicle.

Paul

Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:46 AM UTC
The T19 was based on the the M3A1 as the A2 was post war and the M3 had no rear door which the T19 has and also the M3 had a shorter troop compartmant than the M3A1 The M3A2 was developed around 1943 and some built for testing but by the time they were to start being produced the need for more half-tracks dissappered and production was canceled . (and is what Tamiya used tomodel their kit)

The T19 was armed with a 105 mm Howitzer

came in 2 types without a gun shield and with one.

The T19 was one of the least produced variants with 324 being made by Diamond T motor company in early 1942

i've been searching the net for info on the T21 or T21E1 4.2 inch mortar carrier and all i've been able to find is that a prototype of each was made but never produced.

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:47 AM UTC
I believe that I have one photo of a 4.2-Inch mortar mounted in the rear of a H-T with the tube elevated and facing towards the rear (T21?) however, it is not a good detail photo and I can not recall right now if it is the US M2 CM tube, a British 4.2-Inch tube or a (doubtful) M30 cannon. (No captions with the photo) I also can't recall if there are any typical M3 to M5 differences ie: rounded corners visible although it does have the rear door fitted.... I am at work right now.

I have not seen nor have I heard of a 4.2-Inch H-T Mortar carrier in use in Vietnam (how "early" and by whom?) but, I am far from being the expert. I am however, extremely curious.
 _GOTOTOP