_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
"stains" from washes
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC
How do you avoid the stain left over by washes. I mean the excess turp that when dired is darker than your paint job. I was trying to just put the wash in the seams I tried to get rid of excess but no luck is there a secret to this?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC
A good method to this is to use something like a Q-Tip when doing washes. As soon as you are done applying the wash to the seam, use the Q-Tip to soak up any excess by simply dabbing it on the ends of the seam. The Q-Tip will "draw" the liquid up. You could also use a piece of tissue for this.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
Options:
1. Use a wide brush and cover the entire model in the wash, leaving a uniform color except in the recesses and edges. The subsequent dry-brushing will blend this in.
2. Use a fine brush and just touch the wash where you want it, seams, textures, etc.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 03:51 AM UTC
I know this doesn't answer question on how to remove stain, but I attempt to avoid the stain in the first place. I use a pointed brush to apply the wash where I want it, be it a seam , a fitting, etc. This avoids the overall wash and resulting darkening of the paint. It takes more time for the wash phase, but less time for the clean-up, dry brush phase. It can even eliminate most dry brush requirements.

The Q-tip technique can also be used to clean-up any excess using my method.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know this doesn't answer question on how to remove stain, but I attempt to avoid the stain in the first place. I use a pointed brush to apply the wash where I want it, be it a seam , a fitting, etc. This avoids the overall wash and resulting darkening of the paint. It takes more time for the wash phase, but less time for the clean-up, dry brush phase. It can even eliminate most dry brush requirements.

The Q-tip technique can also be used to clean-up any excess using my method.

Amigo--- are you using acrylics or enamels for the wash?
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Amigo--- are you using acrylics or enamels for the wash?
DJ

Either, though usually and lately just acrylics.
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC
I had the stain problem my first time doing a wash, and I fixed it by adding another coat with a little bit more paint
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
DJ,

I have used a variety in experimenting to find easiest. I have used thinner with enamels, and oils, but since I usually paint with enamels (although I am slowly switching to acrylics for my vehicles, as I get better using them in an airbrush), I have started using tube acrylics to make my washes. I mix a small dab of acrylic with water and a drop of shampoo (I have a large stash of hotel goodies and the small bottle takes little room on work bench). Liquid soap can also be used. The soap is necessary to break up the inherent surface tension of the water. I also tend to make a mess mixing colors (I am a tanker and an infantryman, both messy occupations), and acrylics are so much easier to clean, specially if you mess up a wash. Just put the kit in the sink if necessary :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 05:03 AM UTC
I have never had much success with acrylics as a wash, but I've never added soap the the mix, either. Pigments always seemed too large and grainy. I have taken to using oils for most washes and have recentlly begun using Payne's Gray instead of black. That has left nice shadows on even light colors and is a very neurtral color so the tinting effect has been minimal. Other than that, I have a small bottle of testor's black which has been periodically been replenished with paint or thinner. Note, I generally use cheap thinner, though I have a can of Testor's Airbrush thinner (tag sale special) that I'll use when I need realy clear thinner.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 06:04 AM UTC
I think this is another reason why you should put the wash over a clear gloss coat. The stains will come off more easily.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP