_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Latest pictures (Saracen, LAV25, Centurion)
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:19 PM UTC
heres my latest pictures. The Centurion is for the Korea Campaign.

The Saracen is from tamiya with a few extras added to this very basic "toy" kit.

And the LAV has yet to be weathered and have the decals blended in.

All comments welcome.

white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 02:19 AM UTC
Shaun,

They all look outstanding! Your LAV-25 looks great, can't wait to see what she looks like once you're done with her. Strong work!
JeffGunn
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC
great models and congratulations on finding a sunny day to take the pics
winchweight
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 04:37 AM UTC
The joys of sunny Shropshire. Its either sunny and lovely, or 100mph wind and driving rain. Its also freezing in winter

winchweight
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC
Where are we posting for the "Remember Korea" campaign?

Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
Very nice work

I really really like that Centurion
thenoblehaus
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:22 AM UTC
I would imagine through our campaign journals. At least that's where I have been putting them in for my other campaign. I love the Centurion real nice job. Having had the pleasure many years ago of visiting your fair land you are kidding about the sun. I found it to be just like home (New England) Sunny or rain and a little in between. Is that Tamiya kit of a Saracen or a Saladin? I didn't realize Tamiya made a Saracen.
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:25 AM UTC
I like the weathering is outstanding, it makes the AFV jump out of the picture. The LAV is coming along nicely, I can not wait to see the weathering you do some great weathering work.

Happy Modeling
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:45 AM UTC
looks good, i like the LAV, centurion's weathering looks great!
winchweight
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 09:49 AM UTC
#:-) You're right of course Ken, it's a Saladin. (Same family of vehicles and one I would very much like along with the Humber "Pig"!) Thanks for the comments guys, the LAV received it's first varnish seal, covering the decals beautifully. The Saladin was a rubbish rendition of the vehicle. It's a motorised toy really. All the locating pins were huge and had to be cut off!! I added interiors for the hatches and drivers view port, using artistic licence as i couldn't find any picture references. The light lenses on models make them seem almost real though, don't they? The Centurion has a brass gun barrel (very heavy), and Fruilmodel tracks and spockets. The LAV is OOTB. Not a bad kit from Italeri except for the wheels. there are AM wheels, but I didn't find out until too late.

thenoblehaus
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 10:22 AM UTC
I have the Tamiya Saladin kit. I'm trying to figure out what can be done to bring it a little up to date. I'm thinking of using the turret from the AFV Club M113 FSV I'm sure it's got to be better than the one in the kit. Also thinking of doing up new wheels with snow chains on them in resin. Did it share wheels with any other vehicle? No sense in scratching them if I can use someone else's wheels. Are those MV lenses they look good big help to any vehicle. I wonder if anyone makes a PE set for it? That would go a long way to helping the kit out I bet.

As for the LAV it's coming along nicely. Yeh they make pretty much everything in AM parts for the kit wheels, interior, PE, and details including a drivers bay I believe.
winchweight
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
If it's the same turret, then I would swap it, or perhaps use the one off the Revell Scorpion as it would be cheaper. I think its a Scorpion turret on the M113 FSV, but I am not so sure about on the Saladin. The Saladin turret was added to M113s in Australian service, but I am pretty sure that this is not the same thing. The one in the kit is very basic. I added cam-net hanging loops, hatch linings etc to it. I would also add a better .30cal as the one in the kit is awful. I drilled out the barrel and added the performations into the length of it. They are depicted as little spikes in the kit!! As for the wheels, as far as I know they were only used by the Saladin and Saracen, but I could stand to be corrected. As for AM, I found nothing.

_GOTOTOP