_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
.50 cal on Abrams
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 04:08 PM UTC
Does anyone have a photo of the charging handle on the left side of the Abrams' .50 cal. A wire connects to it and then there is a 'U' shaped handle at the end of the wire, but I do not have any good photos of it.

Thanks

Bob
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 04:47 PM UTC
If you are referring to the left side of the turret that would be the loaders M240 MG. Its not a .50 cal
Charging handle is just how you described it. Wire cable mounted on the right side of the receiver with a small rubberized loop around the end. THere is a small metal eyelet that the cable passes thru at the rear of the receiver as well. Shouldn't be too difficult to make. I'll dig thru my pics and see if I can find one that shows the MG clearly. "Q"
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 12:42 AM UTC
He's referring to the M10 charging handle on the Abrams' M2 .50 machine gun. We don't use the standard M2HB that you're accustomed to with the butterfly handgrips and the wooden charging handle.

I'll look to see if I've got a photo of one. Had I come accross this post during the day yesterday, I could have taken a photo of one from my arms room. I had it open for a physical security inspection.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 03:57 AM UTC
[quote]He's referring to the M10 charging handle on the Abrams' M2 .50 machine gun. We don't use the standard M2HB that you're accustomed to with the butterfly handgrips and the wooden charging handle.

/quote] Yes Sabot, you are correct. I have a lot of photos of the TC area of the Abrams and none of them cover this aspect of the .50 cal. Neither do the web sites that I am familiar with. It always seems that the training tanks in the photos are devoid of the .50cal all together.

Anyway, I am trying to superdetail my Tamiya Abrams. I'll wait to see if any photos can be had before I finish this area.

Thanks.

Bob
ahueger
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 06:30 PM UTC
I remeber using tanxheaven as ref ...
HTH - Andreas -
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 06:47 PM UTC
The .50 cal is removed in the Tanxheaven photos. Otherwise, the detail shots there are great. I have that site saved as a favorite.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 04:40 AM UTC
If I recall correctly the Verlinden WarMachines No 6 has some good pics of the .50 cal on the Abrams. I m still waiting on my LHS owner to find me one.

Rob
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 05:07 AM UTC
Yes, the Verlinden book has one photo from the left side and it shows part of the set-up I am describing. I am no expert, but I do know that there is a wire attached to the charging mechanism, which is on the left side, and a 'U' shaped handle? connected to the wire. It's the wire and handle set-up/connection that I do not understand, and need a photo of.

I also understand there is another wire set-up in case the .50 cal goes down and an M240 can be set up in it's place. Maby Sabot can clear this up too.

I am currently building an M1A1 for a vet who fought with the 3rd ID and I want to get these sort of details as correct as I can.

Thanks everybody!
 _GOTOTOP