_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British armour green? (+2 in-progress pics)
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
I'm getting ready to start painting my Universal Carrier. I have a paint problem. The Instruction tells to paint the vehicle dark green, Tamiya TS-2. As this is a spray paint, Humbroll paint charts only has some of the basic bottled paints. I'm not looking for an exactly right shade, it's enough when it looks right. What humbrol paint should I use?
I used hu75 with my Achilles and nobody complained, but dark green 30 (or 149) looks more like the color on the Tamiya box.
Here's an in-progress pic of my carrier.

The basic construction is done. I haven't cemented the front armour plates yet, to make painting easier. I'm doing the model with Eduard PE and Modelkasten tracks. There quite tiny and there's about 400 of them....

The most time-consuming part was to get them of the sprue and clean up, a job that took about four evenings. Cutting had to be planned carefully because the track pieces are connedted to the sprue by 3 connectors. These things break very easily, so I clipped them with straight-cutting clippers like this: first cut the single connector on each track piece, then cut off the sprue around the first piece, cut the double connector to get one piece off and repeat three hundred and ninetynine times! :-)
But these are worth the money (just as much as the tamiya it itself ), the original track is just plain awfull, more like T-37 tracks and drive spockets are inaccurate (real sprockets have two times more teeth), fortunately, model kasten supplies white metal replacement sprockets, which are lovely.
But back to the subject, what's the right humbroll color for the british dark green?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 01:35 PM UTC
If I am not mistaken the British armor base color was khaki drab It was real similar to U.S. olive drab Tamiya does make khaki drab
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 03:05 PM UTC
I use Olive Green XF-58 for my Brit Armor, It has more of a green tint to it rather than brownish. Olive Drab is to dark for Brit vehicles.

Henk
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 07:36 PM UTC
In the early part of the war the carrier would have been 'SCC2', which was a very brownish drab, then 'khaki drab' which Tamiya make from 1942. At the very end of the war then 'bronze green' was introduced which would be Tamiya dark green XF61.
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 07:42 PM UTC
Hi Eetu,
I tend to use humbrol 159 for my british stuff which seems abit bright when you first paint it, but dulls down very nicely under layers of weathering.
I'll try to include a picture of an M3 scout car that I tookat a local museum here in Newcastle. The green is very 159!

Mark
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 07:59 PM UTC
Okay- here's another try
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. I'm doing the model with Eduard PE and Modelkasten tracks. There quite tiny and there's about 400 of them....

400.......... . And I thought 32 wheels for my Jagdpanther was hard work..
Give me the exacto knive... Step away from the bench... :-) :-) :-)
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. At the very end of the war then 'bronze green' was introduced which would be Tamiya dark green XF61.

I think that would be right, I have Italian decals for it and Italians got some carriers from the British late in the war, after Mussolini was overthrown. The color on that M3 looks quite like HU75 I used with my Achilles. I think I have a tin of HU159 too. I'll see which one is more like the real thing.
Thanks.
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 08:14 AM UTC
The official colour for british vehicles in NW Europe was SCC 15 Olive Drab. Th term Khaki Drab was created by Terence Wise to differentiate from US Olive Drab. It appears no where in the contemporary literature. As to a good match Humbrols French Green is good. Tamiya's own Khaki Drab is ok but needs lightening with yellow to achieve a slightly closer match.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 09:11 AM UTC
geeze 400 seperate links wow, those better be worth the time! but i think your paint is fine, maybe a bit dark but after a light dusting and weathering, it will look good.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The official colour for british vehicles in NW Europe was SCC 15 Olive Drab.

As Ross says, the official colour was SCC 15 Olive Drab so repeat the British Armour Mantra after me:

There is no such thing as Khaki Drab only SCC 15.

:-)

"Bronze Green" is a post war colour and not seen in WW II.

And, of course, depending upon when your vehicle was first fielded and which unit it was serving in, it could very well be in SCC2 Brown as many Brown british vehicles went to Normandy.

For very good mixes for SCC15 go to the MAFVA site and look under references for a list of Humbrol mixes that make good matches.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP