_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jagdpanzer 88mm camo opinions?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 10:46 AM UTC
Here are a cuople pics on my Krupp Jagdpanzer 88mm version I would love to hear ideas on the camo and how to blend it together It's the first time in awhile I've attempted to spray on camo with an airbrush

TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:34 AM UTC
maybe you can make an outerlayer of a different color? Maybe a yellowish? That would look great. I dont know to blend the colors. Sorry, i know its not what you asked for but you did a really good job on the tank. Keep us posted.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:43 AM UTC
spray some panzer dark yellow on there, there is too much green showing, and inside of the brown and yellow spaces, put dots of another color one

ie.-on a brown spot, dot yellow and green on
on a yellow spot, dot brown and green on

know what i'm sayin?

-shain
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

there is too much green showing,

While I can't speak to this exact vehicle, very late war German AFVs were base painted in the green and, in the winter/spring of 1945, brown on green vehicles with no/very little yellow were perfectly acceptable.

The scheme suggested is more of an "Ambush Scheme" and was not generally applied after the Normandy fighting of August 1944. Older vehicles were not necessarily repainted, but newer ones, like this, would have come off the lines green and then been camoflaged at the unit.

If by "blending" you are wondering how to futher even out the colours and start the weathering process, I might suggest an overspray with a very thinned out mix of a burnt umber mixed with a bit of yellow ocher to lighten it. Don't let the thinned paint pool, just very lightly spray to overcoat with a colour that will simulate the ground/dust colour in the area where the vehicle is supposed to be fighting. This has come to be called a "filter" but is more accurately called a glaze.

Steve Zaloga almost never actually paints the running gear of his tanks with the vehicle colour. His vehicles are in working condition and he tends to spray all of the running gear and lower hull with a mix of tamiya buff and deck tan. If nicely simulates the caked dust on the lower half of almost every vehicle I've ever seen in the field. Surfaces in contact with the tracks or ground reflect the underlying material, of course.

I would paint the running gear/lower hull first, then spray on the glaze in a tone that will help unify the ttwo areas. The glaze should just slightly alter the colour of the previous coats. Seal the glaze with future/clear coat and then you can start to apply the various washes as you like.

In my opinion, decals should be applied before any of the glazes/washes or other weathering techniques.

HTH

Paul
spectre
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 06:11 AM UTC
simply lay off with the airbrush as you get to the outside of the ball of camo. thhe airbrush naturalyl has this efect when making stripes of camo. simply move it farther away as you get closer to where you want it to blend. you may feel that your camo is too stark because you probably kept the AB at a uniform distance from the surface the whole time.

EDIT: I've also heard (but never tried) that putting washes over the camo with dusty colors really brings it all together. I've an example where I airbrushed an m8 a bit too much (with an overlying dust color) and the camo looks a bit more like vomit with slight black-brown-green patches. at leasti found out that dustish colors blend camo
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
Paul-- I note that you cite the Zaloga technique for the roadwheels. Have you tried this method? What paint brand do you use for the "deck tan"?
thanks
DJ
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While I can't speak to this exact vehicle, very late war German AFVs were base painted in the green and, in the winter/spring of 1945, brown on green vehicles with no/very little yellow were perfectly acceptable.

The scheme suggested is more of an "Ambush Scheme" and was not generally applied after the Normandy fighting of August 1944. Older vehicles were not necessarily repainted, but newer ones, like this, would have come off the lines green and then been camoflaged at the unit.

good point, i am stuck on the eastern front and havnt gotten into the western camo. schemes yet, i know on the eastern front, dark yellow/brown/green camo was common...thanks
-shain
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 09:37 AM UTC
Thanks for the ideas gents As far as the scheme goes I just wanted to do something different I may put on some dark yellow yet and go from there
 _GOTOTOP