what do you think of......?
IGI
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 08:12 PM UTC
goodmorning guys,

What do you think of this piece of stone wall? Is it convincing?Sorry for the poor quality but as I don't own a digi cam I had to scan the whole piece.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it convincing?

Quick answer .... Yes and No.
Afterall this is scale modelling .... not all details can be produced accurately and sometimes effects are exaggerated to highlight a detail .... drybrushing an example. Yes its a stone wall and looks like a stone wall and will fit nicely into a dio! There are many kits of walls that dont have as much detail or poorer detail.
If you´re personally happy with the wall, you dont have to get approval from anybody ... if it convinces you, thats all that matters.
On the no side of my answer...... this wall appears to be larger stones built on top of one another. In reality a stone wall has lots of smaller stones to support and fill the gaps of the big stones. No way could any height or stability be achieved with big stones built this high alone.
Your answer probably lays somewhere in between both points. Not maybe the perfect answer but my opinion on the matter.
Maybe with some extra detail added like window frames or some rafters of the roof it will be even more convincing. Plus no wall ruins were a single wall. Its possible to build a joint free corner with this method ... another step to improve the effect!
I like the effect you achieved though... did you glue the stones first and then fill in between them? What did you use for filling. The mortar looks very convincing!
IGI
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:09 PM UTC
thank you very much Plasticbattle,
I agree that truth is between yes and no. Of course it not finished yet I just wanted an oppinion as it is my first scratch ever. If I understand correct, I have to fill the blanks between the big stones with smaller ones.As far as I know, there were 2 ways of building here in Greece. The first was only stones the one on the other, and in the second they glued them with mud.
The matterial I used for the blanks is tile grout in colour caramel. First, I glued the stones on the styrofoam with silikone and then I applied the tile grout. O f course I made one more wall like this one, to represent a ruind corner.On that wall the stones are closer to each other so there are no blanks between them. A broken window will be added, mediteranean tile roof also, and 2 germans smoking between the rubbles.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
I agree with everything said above. If you did want to use rocks of that size you would want to get them much 'tighter' to form better joints.
For a first scratch wall I think it's quite good. Add a few small filler pebbles and you will be good to go.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 01:40 AM UTC
Not from a masonry point of view, but an asthetic point of view this is awesome. I'm guessing that the wall isn't the focal point of view, so the amount of detail that you've put into this is actually good enough, in fact ideal. The focus would be on the model and on the overall effect you want this dio to have. And the quality of your scan is great.

Jeff
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:20 AM UTC
Have to agree with Plasticbattle. The wall looks great but you need small filler stones in between the big ones to help close out the gaps.

For a first time try I'd have to say you did pretty darn good!
Badman
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 07:34 AM UTC
IGI,

I think the wall looks great ... great attempt ... maybe some more scaring.

CB
IGI
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:00 PM UTC
Thank you all guys,
Last night I realised that there were a lot of tile grout covering the stones that is why it looked so far each other. I removed it and the stones came closer each other. Now I can proceed to my little vignette. I hope that within this weekend I'll be able to finish it. I'll try to take some fotos with my mobil phone but I'm not sure about the result.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 09:42 PM UTC
An additional tip when constructing stonewalls like that is to place the larger stones at the bottom, smaller at the top and the others in between.
kubelmanjam
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 08:57 PM UTC
where is ur dio based as i have seen some medeteranian walls similar to the photo of yours

gr8 wall btw
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:22 PM UTC
Excuse me gentlemen but i need to clarify something here!!!

Being a stonehouse owner and also building stones my self. i have to tell that : There are many ways of building a stone wall depending if thats for a house or country wall surrounding some area.

The opinion that on a stonewall the big stones must go down and lil stones go up is wrong for many many reasons.

Stone wall is not an upscending pyramid build, is a construction that the width of the wall has to be the same in all the height for static reasons and also the distribution of the rock sizes is normal in all the wall surface.

Further more the upper parts of the wall have to lift the tension power of the roof weight and also are more exposed to weather conditions and especially to strong winds of the islands .
so be sure that the rock placing talking bout sizes is ok to be same everywhere.

As for the way that the tile grout has covered the channels - gaps between the big rocks , is a decorative way of building here on the islands.

There are smaller stones among the big ones, but theyre covered with mud or cement , and that way u can prevent rain water and humidiy to pass easily in the house. Further more its a way of showing off more the larger stones. Stone builders here do it very efficiently cause humidity and water are the worst enemies of a stone house.

i will soon try to get some pictures of different stonewalls building to show u

In conclusion if talking for reality and accuracy IGI's wall is very very good represented , as in reality here . I dont know if after removing the tile grout it seems better but the picture i see is a very very good construction.

Hope i helped some

Costas
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 06:23 AM UTC
I think it looks very representative of a stone wall for a diorama. I can just see it weathered up with small tall grass and weeds at the base
 _GOTOTOP