house made with cardboard and cork
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hi all,
this is the model near completed of a building made in cardboard and cork with a layer of putty diluted 50%

nexy
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
good job, suprb.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC
wow, excellent job
17thEngineer
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 09:22 AM UTC
looks much better then mine
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 01:17 PM UTC
wow dude that looks just damn great.

where can you buy that cork? and what about telling us in detail how you build something like that?

just looks mighty great.
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2004 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi Juul. Thanks for your words.
Here in Barcelona I find cork in a shop taht only sold these material. But I can see in other shops that sold school material.I hope that I can write a more detailed article in the future.

best whises

Carlos
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
You are a wizard Blockhaus

Do we get to see it painted?
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC
This house ( as many others) is for a friend that have models here. When he painted the diorama we are glad to present the dio here :-)

Carlos
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:28 AM UTC
Carlos,

Superb building, bravo. The column sections are impressive, (corners and center) I have avoided them in the past, but after seeing how you accomplished this and the technique I think it is time to try a new element in my buildings.

Jay
Verboten
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 202 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:58 AM UTC
That house loks really great. It looks like it would be a house on a corner or something. Great job. Do the windows have anything in them? I really love the railwork at the top. Keep up the phenomenal work. :-)
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hello
Minuteman: columans is very, very easy: you only take a rectangle of cork or cardboard ( 2 mm thick )and glue 3 or 4 strips. You can made it also in plastic ( see plastic building in previous post).
Gunther: This house is based in a photo taken in Vienna in war years. Is a factory. I modified sligthy the dessing. Soon I can post more buildings from industrial complex that I´m working now.
Thanks for yours nice words
Carlos
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 12:49 AM UTC
Great effort Blockhaus!!

I'm not sure if you want to share your "secret" with us....but can you reveal a bit of your techniques used??
Maybe it's a very nice subject for a new feature...

Thanks for sharing, John.
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 03:36 AM UTC
I John
Well...I not hare secrets: these building is no more that a carboard box with regular holes (windows) with some strips of cork glued in it and with a layer of putty diluted 50%.Secret may be in see how real things that be converted in things at 1/35. Secret lay in details and these details hare in real buildings. In this case I take a photo of a building of Vienna. I added some things fromnanother building that is near my home. This hibryd is the building that you can see here. As you lives in Holland I´m sure that you have near you a lot of buildings that are here in WWII times and that are very potential possibilities for make a dio with it.In modeller terms building is only a box with holes Windows, doors..) and some details( columns, etc...) and a concrete texture ( bricks, etc...) Of course some buildings are more complex that others ( gotic churches for sample) but this is another question. You an made 80% of buildings that you can find in wartime photos of Western front only with carboad, plastic and cork. For people interested in buildings I sugest make a probe: take a carboard( 2mm thick) cut a rectangle and round it with a stripe of same material around 1cm wide and cover it with a layer of diluted putty (50%) more or less, when this will be finished you will have a wall.for a little vignette. This is a departure for make more complex structures. Feel free for ask questions

Carlos
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 10:54 PM UTC
well i dont know if that way is teh easier or what . But i think that u have done a super nice work here . i like that a lot
When u say cardboard what exactly u mean can u be some more specific if possible >
Thanks
Costas
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hi Costas,
cardboad: this material is used in a wide range of things, for sample for box shoes. If you take a box shoes you have also four walls, you need cut windows, door and do the roof. Is basic but a good start. You have then the basic sape of a house. It´s time to do textures: brick, stucco, etc...
For more "professional" look you can go to artist suppliers shop and buy carboard of 2mm
best whises
CArlos
 _GOTOTOP