_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragons 1/72 LCM(3), need sugestions!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC
I just picked up Dragons 1/72 LCM(3) yesterday. Its a very nice kit with the small figures.

My question is, what else can I put with it. I'm not that verse in WWII type vehicles. The kit comes with a baces landing on the beach. With all 12 figures added to the base, the LCM looks empty, so what can I put inside it. I was thinking of a Willy's jeep from Hasagawa or maybe a Sherman for Italeri.

What do you all think?
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 01:11 PM UTC
I've just got my LCM to the painting stage. I put an Italeri Sherman in it. It looks cool, but I am told it is not realistic. The Sherman would have been too heavy.
You could use a jeep, a cargo load, or a halftrack should be OK. Most trucks would be ok, also.
I'm working on the Hasagawa M3A1 halftrack to go in mine. The plan is to do an ambulance version.
HTH, and post some pics when you're done.
Chuck
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 07:39 PM UTC
Here's a suggestion - you thought about converting it?

First of all, if you accept what has been said, i.e that it's NOT an LCM (3) but rather a LCM (6), then take a look at this thread for some rather interesting ideas : HERE

It just might whet your appetite...Jim
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 01:20 AM UTC
Jim,
I really didnt want to get in depth with this kit. I just thought it was cool with all the little figures and the base. But, I did want it a little accurate as far as what it can carry. thanks for the link to the thread.

With those photo's posted in the thread and chucks suggestions, I think i am going to go with a small wheeled vehicle like the Willy's or maybe a 2 1/2 truck..

More suggestions are welcome.
philp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 06:07 PM UTC
Pete,
You could always add more figures. It was supposed to carry 100 troops.
Otherwise a Jeep would be a good option. The new Airfix kit is supposed to be pretty accurate.

I also have this kit and am wondering what to do with it. Seems that not too many of these were used in the initial assualt on D-Day (at least on the American beaches). Most were used in follow up waves or to land cargo later on.
Gotta do some more reading.
 _GOTOTOP