_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter's Karl Morser
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hi, Just picked up my Trumpeter Karl Morser today at the local hobby shop. Wow! Another very big box just filled to the absolute top rim with plastic spures that are just packed full of very neat and detailed parts. Another Wow!!!! This one will go under the Xmas tree to me, from me. Ha,ha!

Now the only thing I REALLY need is some more free time. But that's something I think most of us never seem to have quite enough of anymore. Hopefully I'll be able to do some preliminary work on this kit over the holidays, if I ever get Trumpeter's T-34/42 done that is. But all in good time, all in good time....

Take care, Sgirty
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 02:14 PM UTC
sgirty,

Mine will be here next week (found it for $90 so I couldn't pass it up), and I also plan on starting mine over the xmas holidays. Let's keep each other updated on progress to keep motivated.

Mika
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC
Are you going to have it hanging on the railcars?
I figure the odd things like support rollers next to the real support rollers are hooks on cables,to hold the slack track up while in transit
Ought to be a fun build (++) (++)
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2004 - 03:52 AM UTC
I was going to do the dangling version, just to be able to show all elements of the kit to their best effect. Is the main body removable from the rail supports or do the things really need to be glued together for it to be stable?

Thanks,
Mika
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hi. Been looking through the instructions today just to be come somewhat familiar with this kit. There's a full 38 pages worth here!

MadMeex: According to page 36 it appears that the gun unit itself is just pinned into the support arms on the railway cars, and it doesn't say anything about glue being used, so I'm assuming that it can be just pinned 'dry.' I also see that on page 38 it shows how the two rail carriages can be hooked together in their traveling position without the gun unit, so this may be an interesting option to do if a person wishes to make something of a dio. with the gun sitting beside the tracks. It would also cut down on the overall length of this kit too, as I would imagine length-wise, it would give Trumpeter's K-5 a run for it's money all stretched out.

A nice added feature on the instructions on page 17 shows how the tracks sit on the gun unit both in the firing mode and in the traveling mode. The traveling mode shows no sag underneath, but a fair amoung of track sag on top. I figured it would be just the opposite.

There must be some kind of 'support' under there for the track somewhere on the real vehicle. Looks like some research will be in order here.

With the model built in the travel position I wonder if any extra 'weight' will have to be added someplace on the R.R. cars to keep all the wheels sitting on the tracks with the gun unit installed? Of course some added weight could always be added to those tool boxes or inside the bearing unit assemblies beforehand, just as a little insurance.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
csante
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 12:38 AM UTC
Hello every one.
I'm very interested in this topic because I'm building it since october. I've almost terminated the two railway cars and the arms.
The detail is outstanding, but some work is needed to eliminate the extractors marks.
I'm taking pictures during building and if you are interested in, I could post them.
My intention is to build a diorama.

Do you know whether some tracks are produced for the Karl? I think the only negative aspect of the kit are the supplied vinil links.

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 08:57 AM UTC
The reason the tracks don't sag while in the travel position is beause they used straps with hooks on them ,through the round holes in the track teeth to keep the tracks from dragging (sagging)

Rick
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 10:24 AM UTC
Hi Casnte, Don't know of any body who yet makes any aftermarket tracks for this kit, but maybe down the road aways........ We can always hope anyway. Can't say if the aftermarket aluminum barrel will work on this kit of not, as the one from Dragon I built here awhile back used the kit-supplied plastic barrel, although I'm considering getting one of these metal barrels just to see. Can't be that much difference between them I shouldn't think.

Love to see some photos of your work.

I posted a note on the Axis W.W. II section of the discussion boards over on missing lynx site about the track 'sag' thing, and another poster added a very sharp and detailed photo of a Karl mounted on the railway trucks. It most definintely shows off very well how the tracks looked in their carry position. You, or anyone else may want to check this out if they plan to build this kit in the mounted up vesion. Very nice. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, well this one most certanly is.

Take care, Sgirty
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 01:10 PM UTC
Thats it Rich!Thats why I drilled all those little holes in my Dragon Karls' track
csante
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 08:10 PM UTC
Hi there. I'm back with the pictures (others are in the gallery). I'm also trying to figure out the diorama layout.
I hope you enjoy.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 09:23 PM UTC
Csante

Your pics do not show up. When I look at their properties they seem to be still on your system. When you want to post pics in topics you must first upload on the internet. You can use the armorama Gallery space that every member has here.

seyahmit
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 04:58 AM UTC
Looking good csante! I'm looking forward to Santa bringing my Karl. (:-)
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi, Csante: A super start there. And I like your basic layout idea as well. I also like the idea of putting the rails and tracks together with out the plastic roadbed base. That way a 'real' roadbed can be scratch-built out of model RR items--various gravels and such--that I think would look much more authentic. Just using a wooden frame for a base.

MY biggest problem once it's finished is exactly where to put the d----- thing so it will be basically protected and out of harm's way, yet still be seen, to some extent at least. But I need to get it built first. Something I do believe that will be starting here before too long, as I get the box out every night or so and look once again through the instructions and the various spures. And seeing the photos of your fine work your has just added mroe fuel to the proverbial fire to start it up I'm afraid. Ha, ha!

Thanks for your photos. They look really great.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
seyahmit
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
How do you control yourself Sgirty! :-) My wife has mine hidden away until Christmas.

I think using the kit's ties and rails and using model railroading ballast and what not is the way to go. That is what I plan to do for my K5 and Karl.
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
Wow is that thing ever huge! I'm sure you will have fun putting it together. Kind of makes me want to run out and get one!

Enjoy!
the_unborn
KitMaker: 126 posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 12:56 PM UTC
I'm sooooo gonna get one of those, and K5 too. Man, I just love big toys or. well..guns :-)
 _GOTOTOP