_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon 6210
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
I just ordered the Dragon Porsche Tiger I from HobbyLink Japan. I also read the review in PMMS on the kit--number 6210. I am Sherman fanatic, but this German model is interesting in that it is a unique variant of the Tiger. Having said that, I need to ask two questions. One, can you recommend a barrel to replace the kit plastic 8.8 cm gun? And, second, the vehicle had zimmerit on the turret and hull. The kit does not come with zimmerit. I vaguely recall that several model makers had zimmerit application kits. If this is correct, can you recommend one for use?
thanks
DJ
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
Not to sound like a smart-aleck, but do a search on "zimmerit" here - this has been covered a million times.

IIRC, the leading contenders for home-made zimm was Tamiya's 2-part ACRYLIC putty (not their epoxy) and RJ Enterprises(?) Zimm-It-Rite 2-part putty. Another huge favorite is the Milliput Extra Fine 2-part putty.
HTH

Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 08:03 AM UTC
210cav -

Not sure there is an AM zimmerit set for the Tiger I(P) so you may have to take the input from "nfafan" and go the homemade route. However, while looking for my Jagdpanther (Early) barrel/mantle, I found it made by "Jordi Rubio" and they have a barrel (jr08) for the Tiger I(P). I haven't used any AM barrels other than Eduard yet so I'll have to defer to others as to quality. Hope this helps some,

Blade48mrd
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 01:07 AM UTC
Thanks for your asistance.
DJ
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 01:16 AM UTC
DJ
AFAIK the nearest thing to aftermarket Zimmerit for the Tiger 1(P) is the conversion kit by Accurate Armour which consists of new turret and upper hull plus accessories and was meant for the Italeri Tiger (P).
HTH
Pete
thenoblehaus
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

210cav -
I found it made by "Jordi Rubio" and they have a barrel (jr08) for the Tiger I(P). I haven't used any AM barrels other than Eduard yet so I'll have to defer to others as to quality.
Blade48mrd

You could probably use Cavalier generic zimmerit. As for Jordio barrels they're excellent highly recommended. Should be able to get both from your local hobby shop. Let us know how the kit is I have been waiting for this one, time to throw out the Italeri one or turn it into something else is more like it.
 _GOTOTOP