_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
OMG I'm building a Tiger I
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
I actually had this baby built a few months ago but never got around to finishing the tracks. I am discarding the kit tracks for Fruils. This is my first time with Fruils. While the concept is not difficult, it takes a little skill to assemble them. Sometimes not all the holes are drilled out cleanly and the wires don't fit through. I used a shirt pin with a big head to drill the holes.

Took me about 2 hours to finish one side. My fingers and sore from using little pins, needles and wires all morning.

I'll get pics up later. It's Thanksgiving dinner soon and I gotta get this built before I leave for dinner
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 04:08 PM UTC
Step away from the workbench immediately! Seek out some OD Green paint. Tigers may lead to Panthers if not treated ASAP! I'm just teasing. Can't wait to see the pics.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 05:03 PM UTC
Well the tracks have been sprayed with the second coat and currently drying. I hope they turn out well.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hey Alan ..I thinking it is contagious ..I'm working on one too........ARGGHHHH!

Rick
thenoblehaus
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Step away from the workbench immediately! Seek out some OD Green paint. Tigers may lead to Panthers if not treated ASAP! I'm just teasing. Can't wait to see the pics.

LMAO! I started my WW II kick with tigers then became a true Shermaholic. I've now done 7 including two mostly resin jobs. Working on a M4A1 early for the "one of ours" campaign. I keep looking at stuff for the "Ardennes" campaign and I'm leaning towards the new DML Tiger II kit it looks like a real beauty.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 10:46 AM UTC
I don't know about you guys, but I just have fun building tanks. Recently I built a Tiger 2, Merkeva and am presetly on an M-46 Patton. I also love building the big 350 scale ships. Cars and plaes I find a bit tedious nowdays, but 15 years ago that's all I built. To me it gets boring building the same old thing time aftr time after time, so I vary ..................a lot
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:01 AM UTC
Alan,
Next time, try using a micro-drill, it cleans out the tracks great and is fairly quick.. I just finished putting some early tracks together this morning..
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 12:17 PM UTC
thats cool u are building a tiger cant waite to see her done.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 12:17 PM UTC
thats cool u are building a tiger cant waite to see her done.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 04:29 PM UTC
Nah, its okay to get a little variety. It shows you how cool (and simple) Shermans are.

Jeff
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 05:40 PM UTC
Since it has snowed big time here looks like the deckrail where I usually take my pics is not going to work out.

I guess I will have to set up some lights indoors.

I currently have it set up next to a Sherman I just finished WOW is the Tiger big.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 05:46 PM UTC
Yes Alan it was huge ..... That is how they got the reputation of being indestructible. Now you have to try a Tiger 2 That thing was really large. I cant wait to see some photos.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 05:00 AM UTC
Here is my Italeri Tiger I Early with Fruil tracks. Looks really good and is heavy with the metal tracks. Must be 1/35 scale weight!!!!

Here is the Tiger I next to the Dragon M4A1 Early kit. Boy that cat is huge.

Another side by side shot a little elevated

Here is the business end of the Tiger I vs the Sherman M4A1. I love this pic!!

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes Alan it was huge ..... That is how they got the reputation of being indestructible. Now you have to try a Tiger 2 That thing was really large. I cant wait to see some photos.

I actually did build a Tamiya King Tiger several years back, OK more like 10 years back. Yes it was huge but I am much more impressed with the Tiger I.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:03 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Holy Mother Macree!!!!! Both Shermie's and thebear are building German Steel!?!?!?!!
Would someone with a direct connection to NASA please check with their sources and make sure the Earth's axis hasn't tilted just a tad?........Please?......

I'm just sorry I came to this thread late.......I might have had a chance to apply some form of Sherma-based CPR and potentially resusitated their Allied hearts!.......but alas......they have fallen......

Tread.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Alan ..I thinking it is contagious ..I'm working on one too........ARGGHHHH!

Rick

Rick these are the tracks that I bought from your freind Janic you referred to me. Finally got around to building them.
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 451 posts
Armorama: 254 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:06 AM UTC
nice looking tank!
the tracks do look tedious.. could you wear gloves so your fingers don't get sore the next time you work with them?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:06 AM UTC

Ya think the fact that snow has miraculously appeared on your Allied deckrail is just happenstance Alan??

My, my, my......tsk, tsk.....The Sherman Gods have apparently spoken..........ya listening?

You walk out there and start to place that Tiger on the deckrail, just listen for thunder.........that'll be your warning......... ;-)

Tread.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC
LOL Tread I never thought of that! I guess the Sherman gods were tolerant when I did the DUKW, Priest and Beep beause they were Allied. Maybe the Sherman gods were even tolerant with the Ersatz Panther because it was olive drab and for the most part became target practice for M4s during the Bulge. This time I crossed the line with a full fledged German AFV and I get hit with a snow storm.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:26 AM UTC
Nice work on your tiger alan,not too sure about the spare track link brackets,they were add on the later Tiger.you did a great job on the rubber road wheels,i do hope you painted them all?lol.now to put an 88mm hole through you sherman that would finnish it off :-) :-) :-) cheers
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on your tiger alan,not too sure about the spare track link brackets,they were add on the later Tiger.you did a great job on the rubber road wheels,i do hope you painted them all?lol.now to put an 88mm hole through you sherman that would finnish it off :-) :-) :-) cheers

Well since I know nothing about the Tiger I I just built the spare track brackets as per the instructions. Yes I did paint 10 million kazillion road wheels, both sides even!! As for holes, no one is getting any holes in them.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC

"....As for holes, no one is getting any holes in them...."

No worries Alan.....most of the Tiger 1's will be abandoned shortly, and the Konig's will just simply break down..........

Tread.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 07:55 AM UTC
Oh well change is good ...I said I'd build it out of the box ...Yeah right!!! I'm going to take it easy with this one ...hehehe so far I've used parts from three different P/E sheets ...I've bought a few things from Tiger Model designs...Dry transfers from Archer ...I'm going to try something on this model ..I have a theory about those green Tigers in Africa...I believe that they were tigers that left the factories in Panzer Gray and were just over sprayed in the sand color. My theory is the bluish gray and the yellowish sand made for a greenish color ..What do you guys think about that? What ?? it could happen !
As for my Sherman world ,have no fear I have two sitting on my bench in different stages of construction ..As a well know Californian Governor once said...I'll Be Back

Rick
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 08:25 AM UTC

"......I'll Be Back

Rick...
..."

Whew!!!!.........
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 10:21 AM UTC
The Tiger was a nice diversion but still nothing like the fine makings of the Sherman
 _GOTOTOP