The beginning of an army....
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:32 PM UTC
Hello everyone

Just wanted to show the humble beginning of an army made for Warhammer Panzer Battles:

I hope to add two or three StuG's more soon, weren't there four tanks in a platoon? I'll build more infantry as well, making two platoons, as well as some artillery and a Tiger!

My opponent play the Soviets, and we usually play mid-war games, around late 1942.

I'll add more pictures as the army grows...
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC
warhammer PANZER?
i thought it was just a fantasy game........shows how much i know about table top gaming :-) what scale is this?
-shain
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 03:40 PM UTC
Hey I know you guys probobly wont beleive this but I am almost posotive I invented this game... When i first started modeling the figures I did it for warhammer, I took it to my local game shop and played a couple people. No one had known about it and i asked them if it was a good idea. Sure enough they loved it. Some how the word must have got around. If it was me, that would be very cool. Im not saying you have to beleive me, im saying that there is a big possibility.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 10:55 AM UTC
I had a fellow officer in my tank battalion purchase tons of the little 285 scale stuff to build armies with, is this the same thing. GHQ was who made them and I still see they are around.
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:19 AM UTC
Wait a minute, they have a Warhammer WW2 mod?!!!

The only reason I never got into Warhammer was because it was fantasy... Now that I know about this... oh dear!
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 10:29 PM UTC
The game is called Warhammer Panzer Battles and is designed by Phil Yates from New Zealand. It builds upon 3rd edition Warhammer 40.000, and is very detailed. It includes variuos types of infantry, transport vehicles, recon, artillery, tanks, assault gun and even aircrafts. (I'll buy a Stuka soon!). It's meant for 1:72, which is the scale my figures in the picture are in, but can be played in any scale.

It has different army lists for a lot of nations, usually divided into early, mid and late war lists. There's also special army lists for paratroopers, marines, commandos etc.

If anyone is interested, join the WPB Yahoo group, where you can find all the rules and armylists for free! Or drop me a mail at occam(at)tiscali.dk, replacing the (at) with a @, and I'll send you a few of the lists.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
WOW! Is this news! Warhammer doing historical, accurate stuff! I always thought Warhammer was neat, and my kids engage every now and then. It just was never my cup of tea. This move can very well help further connect the younger fantasy modelers/gamers and the older, more traditional military modelers. Nice army build up and thank you for this post.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
Dear me! dear me!, Another reason to go out and purchase another whole series of models with no time to build them either.
capnjock
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 12:07 PM UTC
Haven't heard of it before either, warhammer ww2....

Well, seems a nice change to me! those orcs and stuff aren't my choise for scale modelling (although I do like movies like Lord of the Rings and games like Warcraft)

I'm still wondering where some people find their time to build those huge warhammer armies! How big are you planning yours Occam? You sure made a nice start!

Grt
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 12:01 PM UTC
I've assembled a platoon of troops, and are planning to have four StuG IIIs, another platoon of troops, a Stuka with ground command, lots of artillery, and perhaps a couple of Tigers. Later I'll work on a recon element, and transforming the infantry into panzergrenadiers with vehicles for everyone....

More pictures shortly...
ThePieSpy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
Huh that's pretty cool, have to try some of those. Nice work!
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
As promised, the next finished element in my small army:

Two Sdkfz. 222 armoured scout cars, currently on a recon mission to our piano trying the discover why there's so much dust there...

Another squad of infantry is currently in training.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 03:45 PM UTC
well several hundred figures+vehicles=10ft plus base board. I have seen groups build these bases but never an individual. By the way, great AFV's keep us posted on the infantry.
Cheers
davetalley
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 06:32 PM UTC

BulletTooth:
Wait a minute, they have a Warhammer WW2 mod?!!!
The only reason I never got into Warhammer was because it was fantasy... Now that I know about this... oh dear!

DT: Well, its an unofficial mod, there are 2 currently,both are based off of 3rd ed 40K, Warhammer Panzer Battles as mentioned before and Warhammer WW2.
WPB is a little quiet now since Phil is also the guy who wrote Flames of War, WHWW2 is well monitored and supported although Kevin Pavlick the author has also released his own set of rules recently, Platoon Commander.

as to GW doing Historicals, hell yeah, they have been doing Warhammer Ancients for 5 years now, and they do have a official WW2 Set coming next year, called FireFight.
I am doing Late War Germans and Americans myself, working on units approximately company to battalion sized, yeah we do [auto-censored] big here in texas :-) both sets are gonna be an infantry company with armor, engineer and recon support)

Dave
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 04:15 PM UTC
Dragon (Can-Do) as well as a few other companies produce entire diviisions in 1/144. They're available in kit form or pre-assembled and pre-painted. The latter, while about the same price as the Airfix kits, are well done, have authentic paint jobs, and are ready for combat. Aircraft are also available in this scale. These vehicles, by the way, are half the size of 1/72 scale so you can get twice as many tanks in the same space. Dragon also produces components and track for a German armoured train.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:03 PM UTC
Very nice builds. If you want to do hundreds try GHQ 1/258th scale. you could do a whole battle scene on a 4x4 foot board.
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hmmm all 1/72 only??
Ron

Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 02:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the nice words.

Everything is 1:72 or 1:76, mostly because more or less everything is available in that scale. I collect 1:285 and 1:300 as well, but haven't painted much of it. Especially the vehicles from GHQ are beautiful, with more or less the the same amount of details as in 1:72!

Here are the recent new additions to the army:

An 105 mm leichte Feldhaubitze:

An Opel Blitz to tow it:

A Kettenkrad for the artillery officer:

A Sd. Kfz. 233 for heavy recon:

And a house to take cover in:

More is on the way...
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey I know you guys probobly wont beleive this but I am almost posotive I invented this game... When i first started modeling the figures I did it for warhammer, I took it to my local game shop and played a couple people. No one had known about it and i asked them if it was a good idea. Sure enough they loved it. Some how the word must have got around. If it was me, that would be very cool. Im not saying you have to beleive me, im saying that there is a big possibility.

Occam, that is quite a neat little army you have started there. Looking really good! I knew 1:72 was good for something!
 _GOTOTOP