_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tailpipes On Tiger 1
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hey All,

Would the tailpipes on a Tiger 1 be chromed? I know they will be covered by the rear plates, but I wanted to check before painting anyway

There are a ton of pics out there, unfortunately there aren't any in color showing what I need

Cheers,

BT
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 06:40 AM UTC
umm I don't think chrome was a military options.. most were burnt iron/metal/rust colored.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hi BT... Nope I don't think chrome would be a good idea for the mufflers...What I do is paint them a dark brown color first I use humbrols 98 chocolate color...I then grind up alot of different brown and black pastels and while the paint is still wet I use an old paint brush and cover it with the different colored pastels .This gives you the rough rusty look . If the pastels don,t adhere anymore just add a bit more paint to where you want the pastels to stick and and more .I use the black around the hole to show exhaust staining.. try it ...it works and it's fun... Here's an example of how it looks.
http://www.nutsnbits.com/rcraig/S010.jpg

Rick
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi BT... Nope I don't think chrome would be a good idea for the mufflers...What I do is paint them a dark brown color first I use humbrols 98 chocolate color...I then grind up alot of different brown and black pastels and while the paint is still wet I use an old paint brush and cover it with the different colored pastels .This gives you the rough rusty look . If the pastels don,t adhere anymore just add a bit more paint to where you want the pastels to stick and and more .I use the black around the hole to show exhaust staining.. try it ...it works and it's fun... Here's an example of how it looks.
http://www.nutsnbits.com/rcraig/S010.jpg

Rick

Thanks, Rick. That is definitely the look I want to go for (all rusted-out), I just wasn't sure if I should start with an aluminum base or not.

I love learning new techniques (still new to detail modeling), so this sounds like a great one!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hey ..glad I could help !! That's why I come here ..to help and to learn ...Since the internet my Modelling has improved so much ...

Rick.
 _GOTOTOP