_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
1:35 Paratrooper figures available?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hey,
I got an idea for a vignette from Eagle´s post concerning paratroopers. It would include one figure hanging upside down from a tree trying to cut himself loose. A cow (here we go again! )witnessing this embarassing moment could make a nice comic sidekick!

What kind of offering is there? I´m thinking of US or German figure. I only need one figure so if you have spares just let me know .

Thanks,
Toni
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:19 PM UTC
Darn Envar,

this supposed to be my question.

I'm even preparing an unfolded chute in 1/35n scale as we speak....... Yessssss I'm going to do this... But the question is....is there a 1/35 scale figure in a hanging / landing position ?

I've decided to dig into the Market Garded operation and to visualize this in a couple of dio's....

Posts with lots of questions coming up on this soon ! Keep me posted Envar....Love your idea !
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:37 PM UTC
How about a C-47 in 1:35? Is there such a kit available?
I´m toying around with the idea of actually doing it. I have to come up with five bigger projects for my book...

Oh and 1:48 and 1:72 models of C-47 will do also!
Which manufacturer makes the best ones?

Thanks,
Toni
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:44 PM UTC
I do'nt think anyone makes a C-47 in 1/35 or 1/32. The only C-47 in 1/48 is the one made by Monogram. As for 1/72, probably the best is the one from Italeri. And here's a set of U.S. Paratroops in 1/48 by CMK

http://www.hannants.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.pl?Mode=view&Database=new&R=CMKF4856
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:56 PM UTC
Envar,

We might have to join hands on this one and keep eachother posted on things.

Like said before, right now I'm developing a 1/35 parachute (X-type, British like used in sept. 1944). I've got some neat ideas on how to build this. I'm gonna describe every step on the construction of it.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 09:08 PM UTC
Sure Danny, that would be great! I´m gonna need all the info I can get. Sad to say, I´m not really a research type! I just draw and model!
Parachutes are not one of the easiest things to build I bet. Also in that sense it could help to choose a smaller scale...
Here´s a quickie sketch for the vignette!

Thanks Geoff for the info! For those mid-air paratroopers it may be the scratchbuilding way anyway..
#:-) #:-) #:-)

Curraheee!!

Toni
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 09:16 PM UTC
I used to have paratroopers including unfolded parachutes in a 1/87 scale. The where from Preiser and ....beautiful.

I really want to do this in a 1/35 scale. I'll make a mold first and then start to experiment on the fabrics of the chute... Like said before, I'll keep you posted.
CARFACE
KitMaker: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hi fellas,
I seem to recall a set of 1/72nd scale paratroopers to be strung to a static-line including some shuffling to the door, standing in the door,and a jumpmaster. I think it was either Airfix or Heller. I think the pack-rat may still have a set. I'll check on them and report back in.

Along the same line, Heller once upon a time, made a 1/35th scale Super Frellon helicopter ( roughly the size of a CH-53) with on-loading para's. I'll check on it while I'm at it!

I've mentioned an idea of mine on these forums in the past. It had to do with a "Shadow-Box" diorama of the interior of an AC-130H Spectre gunship. The plan was to build all the details to fit INSIDE a large-diameter section of PVC pipe. I think that the idea would work just as well on the interior of a "jump-rigged" C-47, fully loaded down with people who willinglly, enthuseasticlly jump out of perfectly functioning aircraft.
Any feedback would be Greatlly Apreciated!!
CARFACE :-)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
Carface,

I'm interested if those kits still exist.

Is for the dio you described: It'll be some scratchbuilding, but can absolutely be done ! I've been thinking about the C-47 version you mentioned for the last couple of days. Maybe that's something I'll attend in the near future. As fot now....I have lot's of ideas on dio's with the airborne forces. First do some decent background research and then build. we'll be in touch.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 01:10 PM UTC
Here you boys!!

Worster Miniatures (Owned by The Lost Batalion) makes a partial C-47 with a paratrooper jumping out.

It's 120mm though and quite expensive at $99

I recall seeing a more modern paratrooper in the jumping position in mid air!
Dont know where or when, probably in a Military Modeling Magazine, but not sure.
Oh, and Andrea Miniatures has a German Paratroopr that could be converted pretty easy I belive, its one of their older figures. Look at their website:
www.Andrea-Miniatures.com

Will look forward to your findings and progress!!!!

Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 02:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a "Shadow-Box" diorama of the interior of an AC-130H Spectre gunship

I remember that idea, it sounds brilliant! There could be also a possibility of forced perspective as you look down a tube...with 1/35 figures in the front and 1/48 figs in the background? Something I´ve been thinking for a diorama for a while, 1:35 figs in the pothole aiming 1:72 figures "far away"...You can only look at it from one direction, though, over the shoulder. But it could produce beautiful, realistic photos !

Thanks Anders for the tips!

I found an OLD Airfix 1:72 C-47 in the same place where I found the cows. It was a torn sad-looking package and it had seen better days. The model itself looked hardly ok, molded in white plastic with canadian markings(if I remember right). I think I´ll go there again and try to discuss the price. They ask 22 euros(dollars) for it and I think it´s too much. The Monogram C-47 1:48 is not avilable in Finland any more. I would have really liked to give it a try.

Toni
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 02:44 PM UTC
That's a weird breed those old Airfix kits. The're a hundred years old, boxes are all torn and still they ask big bucks for it. Normally you see the older kits in sales, but I hardly ever see an Airfix model there.....

22 Euros (or Dollars, that's just a very small difference these days) is in my opinion a way out of line for the kit.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 04:34 PM UTC
There was a Monogram C-47 1:48 at eBay for 20$. You think the price is right? It feels so for me.
How is eBay in general? Had problems?

Toni
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There was a Monogram C-47 1:48 at eBay for 20$. You think the price is right? It feels so for me.
How is eBay in general? Had problems?

if the plane is in mint condition, the price is fair I think.

I only did some eBay transactions and all of them where good. You hear good and bad stories about it. I didn't have troubles, but like said before, I only purchased a couple of times so far.

just my 2c
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 02:58 AM UTC
Well, I soon have a 1:48 C-47 on me!
Here´s a sketch of this crazy idea for a dio. The base would be a wooden box with a halogen spotlight and a glass cover. Over that, cotton to play the part of cloud layer. The situation here is that the plane hits the AA light at the very second and a few seconds later the journey is over.
I thought about attaching the paratroopers (mid-air) to a very thin fishing line that comes from the plane door to the base. The vertical back plate would be some black material that sucks all the light. This way the wingtip attachment would not cast any visible shadows.

Just wanted to share this idea. It´s technically very challenging and I would sincerely like to have any feedback and/or ideas how to execute this.

Toni
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It´s technically very challenging

It is Toni...it is, but you surprised me before, and I'm sure you're gonna do it again on this one.

Since I'm in the same " Airborne State of mind" I'll give it a good thinking and see if my ideas can be of any use to you. I'll get back to you.
 _GOTOTOP